ignorance is... well it just is

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
Hello All,

Im new to the game, in fact my stove is still in shipping, however I want to start getting wood ready for next year. I was wondering if theres any suggestions out there for how to find wood. The city will give me all I want when they take a tree down, but they arent taking too many down right now. Ive seen a couple houses around with logs (begging to be split and stacked) but not too sure on how to approach the home owner.

Also I have to take down a pecan tree for a friend, Its dead and falling so its looking like the first victim of my new saw, Its covered in Ivy. Any suggestions on how to remove the Ivy to get it ready to burn?

If covered in Poison Ivy I'd suggest don't even touch it. Other Ivy I'd be leary of how it might be affecting the lean & fall. How big is the Pecan? If it's sizeable I'd walk away for a first time fell. If the tree is long dead the limbs are likely to drop off when it starts to fall. Possibly on your head. If the trunk is rotten it'll be unpredictable when felling.
Search around here in the woodshed for scrounging strategies. Craigslist, ringing doorbells, spreading the word among friends & neighbors, chatting up tree service guys and hydro clearing crews all can work. I mostly just keep my eyes open for fallen trees and follow the sound of a chainsaw whenever I hear one.

I have found lots of wood by looking around, asking friends, stopping to ask tree services, etc. Keep at it, and I think you'll find plenty of wood eventually. It is tough to scrounge wood in a hurry, but not hard in the long run. Keep at it. I bet the city will take down enough trees this summer for you and ten other burners.

Knock, Knock: Hello.
You: Hello. I'm Mr Remmy and I live .... I noticed some wood laying in the yard and just wondered if you have plans for that wood. The reason I ask is that I use wood to heat our home.

Either you get a positive or a negative answer.

Negative: Okay Sir. Just thought I'd check. Thank you for your time.

Positive: Well that is great. I only live x distance from here and I work x through x so I could come (sometime) to remove the wood. Would that be okay with you?

All the rest is easy.

First though, you go there humbly just to ask. Then one just takes things as they come. On positive answers, offer to clean up after you are finished. Ask if it is okay to drive up to the wood to load it. On negative answers, be just as humble and thank them. If they are irate, apologize and say something like, "Okay. Sorry to have bothered you. Have a nice day." Then leave peacefully.

I recall one time I saw a large maple that was dieing right along a road in a farmer's fence line. I needed wood so I went to talk. Told him I noticed that maple that was dieing and that I really needed some firewood and I'd be happy to take that thing down for him. I even told him I'd pile the brush and any pieces left into the fence line. The only thing that would be left would be the sawdust and I didn't think that would bother anything. Then it turned out the farmer wanted to talk a bit, so we did. Actually he was just sort of checking me out. In the end we agreed that I would cut the tree and that it had to be cleaned up by a certain date because he planned on working that field.

I did cut the tree up although it took me all of one weekend to do it. I finished piling brush in the dark on a Sunday night. The following weekend I paid him a visit and he was working in that very same field. I waited at the end of the field and presented him with a fine present and he was one very happy man and could not thank me enough. What? It was me who should have been the most thankful! However, he was well known to appreciate a certain beverage and I gave him a rather large supply of it! But then it also turned out he really did want that tree gone but didn't want to do it himself. One might say that all worked out very good for both parties.

Remmy122 said:
Hello All,

Im new to the game, in fact my stove is still in shipping, however I want to start getting wood ready for next year. I was wondering if theres any suggestions out there for how to find wood. The city will give me all I want when they take a tree down, but they arent taking too many down right now. Ive seen a couple houses around with logs (begging to be split and stacked) but not too sure on how to approach the home owner.

Also I have to take down a pecan tree for a friend, Its dead and falling so its looking like the first victim of my new saw, Its covered in Ivy. Any suggestions on how to remove the Ivy to get it ready to burn?

Follow these simple steps

1) Let everyone you know know that you burn firewood

2) Be ready to go cut it up and haul it away

3) Don't be shy about asking strangers, especially if the tree's been down a while. Just ask.

Thanks for all the advice! I stoped yesterday at a house Ive been eyeing for a while and the owner said they already had some one but the first step covered my fears with realizing most people really are decent which is hard to remeber in this day and age.

Well some one in my neighborhood is cutting down a tree, so Im off to investigate! Thanks again!

I ask anyone who has trees down or piles paying around that don't look like they have been moved. I also knock on doors for hunting property.

Key is to be presentable, make your point up from after telling them who you are, and be straight with what you want and are willing to do.

When I was home for two weeks last month, I scored almost two cords of oak and beech. Unfortunately the beech was punky which I did not know when I told her I would take it...but the lady was so happy to get rid of it, I took a trailer load (about 1/2 cord). The oak is perfect and has been in rounds two years. I had to work for the oak, 20 feet up from the wood line.

Point it, it was a good scrounge but I did have to work for it. But these folks are always taking trees down since their property is wooded (according to the lady) and now they know to call me when they get it all split up.

So I have some less than ideal beech, but I will simply move it in the garage well before the shoulder season next year to ensure it does not get wet from rain and will burn it with some good stuff to get rid of it.

Point is...the more you ask, the more you will find. And then they will tell others....and you will be in a good spot.

Cheers,
Matt

Your thread might mention ignorance, but it's the smartest sort of ignorance I have ever seen.

Anybody who starts collecting wood before they have a woodburner is thinking ahead, that is a huge advantage to anyone who burns wood!!!

As to felling trees which might be dangerous, there are loads of trees out there waiting to be picked up....... already lying down safely :)

Again I really appreciate all this great advice! Im seeing why this forum was so highly recomended!

I came across some ads on craigs list. One was some one who has a sweetgum down that i can go and pick up. Any suggestions on sweetgum?

also I saw this ad

fire wood for sale - $60 (pinetops nc)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-01-08, 9:12PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fire wood for sale 60 dollars a cord of oak wood 252-544-3854, 252-544-3588,252-557-7317. please call and let us know three days in advance.

As cords have been going for $125 locally it seemed a bit off. I called the guy and after listening to his wonderful rap ringback tone, I asked when the wood was split (seems llike thats the secret to finding out if wood is actualy seasoned) he said that they want to know in advance so they can cut and spilt it for me. Im guessing I would still need to season the wood for next year then right? He said its a full cord, but im not really sure he knew what a cord was... is $60 worth getting a few for next year and saving my back or should I move on and get off my lazy tail and go get my own wood?

If it's recently felled (during winter) the sap would be down, and it will season that bit quicker than firewood bought in mid-summer when the sap is up.

Knowing what the prices are like round here, I'd get as many cords as I could store. Oak will keep and only improve with more and more seasoning.

Wish I could get unseasoned oak by the cord for $60 a cord. It's nearer $400 a cord here in England...... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.