I'm almost done selling firewood for this season!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
It's a good thing the season will be over in a couple months, they've cleaned me out of my excess firewood for this year (I even got paid for some of it). It's been a banner year for it. Now that were are nearing the end, many people are running out of wood and I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel to help them out. I've been cutting enough all winter to keep up with restocking, so my stacks are all still full, but I don't sell fresh-cut wood, unless someone begs for it, then I might. I've got plenty stacked in the woods that will be ready to sell next fall though. Hopefully I can find enough good stuff this summer to supply my camping customers, or they might be upset! HA!

Send them over here quads. We still have a little bit left.

Ha, no thanks on the chomper LLigetfa. Too fancy for me. I just do it for fun! Even though that thing looks like fun, it would probably be 'work' trying to pay for it.

I'll send them over to your place Dennis, but it's a long drive around the pond!

I had roughly 5 cord I wanted to sell, and I've sold/given away over 4 now. I keep 15 cord in my own stack that I won't part with, so that way I'm always at least 3 years ahead with my own personal supply. I've got 5 cord or more stacked out in the woods of various ages, but the oldest stuff I can't even get to right now until the snow is gone. Which is ok because that will get me through my camper customers this summer and give me a head-start on selling next Fall.

We've had a mild winter here in the Maritimes. Still lots of firewood in the basement - I've only gone through about 6.5 cord.
I haven't heard anyone running out this season.
Just as long as we don't take it for granted, still plan for a hard winter, and are ready for this coming season!
Does the price of seasoned wood get high this time of year?

I too have lots left but I think I been getting a little more efficient this year at burning , also I think its been a very mild winter , we really only had a few nights below zero . Wood around here seems to stay the same price year around .

My impoverished neighbor took delivery of a bunch of firewood last week. Looks like she got it all moved off of the driveway, probably into the house. From the smoke and smell coming from there, I'm guessing it's not all that well seasoned.

exactLEE said:
I'm just gettin geared up. My busy time is from Mar 1 - Dec 15. Then kinda just idle through winter.

same here I was out of wood to sell by dec. 15 been gettingg some sharpening business's though and it should pick up as well..

maplewood said:
We've had a mild winter here in the Maritimes. Still lots of firewood in the basement - I've only gone through about 6.5 cord.
Just as long as we don't take it for granted, still plan for a hard winter, and are ready for this coming season!
My price doesn't change!

People around here are running out because they cut their wood in the Fall to burn it this winter. And they never cut enough, figuring that if they run out then they can just go out and cut some today to burn tonight. When they can't get out in the woods because of the snow, then they don't have next year's supply to dip into because there is no such thing!

exactLEE said:
I'm just gettin geared up. My busy time is from Mar 1 - Dec 15. Then kinda just idle through winter.
Ha ha! Yep, you've got a tiny bit bigger operation than I ever care to have.

quads said:
exactLEE said:
Ha ha! Yep, you've got a tiny bit bigger operation than I ever care to have.

+1 on that

LLigetfa said:
My impoverished neighbor took delivery of a bunch of firewood last week. Looks like she got it all moved off of the driveway, probably into the house. From the smoke and smell coming from there, I'm guessing it's not all that well seasoned.
I delivered a load of my oak today and the guy was complimenting me on how ready to burn it was. He said he got a load from a different guy before me, charged him more for the wood and charged for the delivery, and it was green cottonwood! He said he had a hard time getting it to burn, even when he threw it on a bed of coals it would almost put the fire out. But he burned it all up eventually.

I have never purchased seasoned firewood that was C/S/D so I have no idea what is even available in this area. In the past I think it was some benevolent group that would go over to her place in the Fall and fell, buck, and split up some firewood for her which she most certainly burned that same year.

As for green Cottonwood, that must have been gawd aweful stuff. I burned Aspen before its time the year I built my house so I can imagine. I had cleared the lot in March and was burning it mixed in with construction scraps in December of the same year while I worked on the house.

quads said:
maplewood said:
My price doesn't change!

People around here are running out because they cut their wood in the Fall to burn it this winter. And they never cut enough, figuring that if they run out then they can just go out and cut some today to burn tonight. When they can't get out in the woods because of the snow, then they don't have next year's supply to dip into because there is no such thing!
Ja, reminds me of my youth. We used to measure seasoning time in days or weeks, not months or years. When I got desperate I'd cut short cookies cuz they dried faster through the end grain. I scrounged Birch rejects from a plywood mill. On the trapline, I cut standing dead trees after there was snow so I could sled it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.