Im ashamed to admit this.. I may be banned.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamess67

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2007
Central Illinois
I wouldnt blame you for shunning me for what Im about to say. I... well ... I.. turned down free wood. :red: There it is. I said it.
A friend gave me several locust trees (none more than 18 in. in diameter), and I can take my time getting it. There are alot of small branches, and a big mess to clean up.
The fact is that I have almost 9 cords already cut an frankly, Im tired of cutting and hauling wood for a while. :-/
I just finished bucking and splitting 7 large oaks and hickory s. Maybe I just need a break until cooler weather. Im sure Ill get the fever again.
I had to write this to satisfy my 12 step program for WHA (Wood Harvesters Anonymous). Thank you for reading.

I wouldn't have passed on locust no matter how much wood I had! I have my eye on some locust when I get home from vacation....

Actually I am out of room to store wood. I have 3 cords at a friends house waiting to be split and I hate to pit too much more there. Trying not to wear out my welcome.

I have to say that you don't need the 12 step program. Someone truly afflicted with FSOCD (Firewood Scrounging Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) would never turn down wood for the reasons you stated. I'd say you just had a temporary lapse of judgment brought on by too much heat and work.

Ratman said:
Dude, call your sponser and tell him you can't take it anymore because Ratman said; "Just do it!"
+1 stand up dust yourself off and get back in there! "Get Some"

smokinj said:
Ratman said:
Dude, call your sponser and tell him you can't take it anymore because Ratman said; "Just do it!"

Go again!
:)

Ratman said:
smokinj said:
Ratman said:

Go again!
agreeing with you and telling james not to give up on free wood

Pardon my ignorance, is locust good wood to burn? I know that free wood is still the best kind. But what does it compare to? How about boxelder? Sorry to hijack the thread, just trying to distract from the momentary lapse of sound judgment by the original poster ;-P

If you have all the time you want to get it, then just change your mind and get it ... whenever!

On a scale of 1-10 Boxelder is about a 5-6 and locust is a 9-10 . Locust is up there with oak ,Hickory , ash for a nice burning wood. I have alot of BE and it was all free and it will burn just not a hot or as long

smokinj said:
Ratman said:
smokinj said:
Ratman said:

Go again!
agreeing with you and telling james not to give up on free wood

Thought you were quoting a song I know that goes just do it, get some, go again.

Jamess67 said:
I wouldnt blame you for shunning me for what Im about to say. I... well ... I.. turned down free wood. :red: There it is. I said it.
A friend gave me several locust trees (none more than 18 in. in diameter), and I can take my time getting it. There are alot of small branches, and a big mess to clean up.
The fact is that I have almost 9 cords already cut an frankly, Im tired of cutting and hauling wood for a while. :-/
I just finished bucking and splitting 7 large oaks and hickory s. Maybe I just need a break until cooler weather. Im sure Ill get the fever again.
I had to write this to satisfy my 12 step program for WHA (Wood Harvesters Anonymous). Thank you for reading.

Relax! As mentioned above you don't need the 12 step program. The need for heat will cause an irrevocable response and you will find yourself on auto-pilot once again. At that time however you may find your self prone to a sevre psycosis and find yourself repeating... "WHAT was I thinking?" "WHAT was I thinking?" "WHAT was I thinking?" "WHAT was I thinking?" "WHAT was I thinking?"
"WHAT was I thinking?"

Tony H said:
On a scale of 1-10 Boxelder is about a 5-6 and locust is a 9-10 . Locust is up there with oak ,Hickory , ash for a nice burning wood. I have alot of BE and it was all free and it will burn just not a hot or as long

I'd probably put the box elder a little lower on the scale. Locust would be on the top but just barely ahead of oak and hickory and then ash. But I will also add that every one of those are excellent for firewood. There is not that big of a space between the top one and the bottom one...except for the box elder which is a lot lower.

If Catholic, thee Hail Marys and two Our Fathers. If Baptist like me grab a six pack, kick back and don't worry about it.

Thanks guys I feel like its coming back. That day I was soaked with sweat in about 15 minutes and facing a huge clean up. I think your right though. I may return and atleast cut it up and stack it there for now. (friend wont mind).
I do see firewood everywhere I look, ask my wife.
I will make you all my sponsors next time I fall off the log. Thanks

BrotherBart said:
If Catholic, thee Hail Marys and two Our Fathers. If Baptist like me grab a six pack, kick back and don't worry about it.

And 2 stations of the cross ;-)

*has one of BB's beers* :lol:

I hate beer :p

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
BrotherBart said:

Especially after BB is done with it.

wendell said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
BrotherBart said:

Especially after BB is done with it.

Doesn't BB drink Natty Light? I just cannot stomach that anymore (or any less :coolgrin: )

myzamboni said:
Doesn't BB drink Natty Light? I just cannot stomach that anymore (or any less :coolgrin: )

Hey! Don't be a beer snob. If you don't make fun of my beer I won't make fun that crappy softwood you burn. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Right wing Christian (non denomination) conservative gun nut.

How a bout a quick prayer and 3 shotgun blasts?

y'all is so special what we as kids kids used to call "short bus special" I think we need to set up some sort of Canadian Beer for oak firewood exchange program.

I hear you James. I'm in the same boat. Got around 15 stacks, 8' deep and 5-6' tall. No more room. I've got around 15 White Ash trees I can drop and a pile of Mulberry and I have to leave it. Never had this much wood come my way before. It's a weird feeling packing the splitter away this early. I'm waiting for when I start hauling wood from the pile up to the house. Then maybe I can get some more. I love cool days and cutting and splitting. Almost as much as sitting in front of the fire and watching football. Only thing left I need to do is get my kindling pile built back up. First of Oct. I'll do that. I know a guy with a pallet repair business and he lets me have as much of the broken boards i want. Then I'm done. Oh, I forgot,
I've got to get up to the chimney and sweep it out too. And, that's right, the gasket needs replaced too. Well, when it's all done it'll be nice to kick back and enjoy.

Andybaker

Status
Not open for further replies.