I'm confused on this wood, Id Please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scoooter

Sep 9, 2010
Central Md
As you all can tell I have no clue what different woods look like.... But I found this on yesterdays trip and have no clue what it might be? It doesn't really have the smell of Locust but the bark looks like it to me, but I could be completely wrong. What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks again,

Scott

Attachments

• unknown wood.jpg
    unknown wood.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 354
Black walnut is me-guess.

Walnut with the biggest sapwood ever!

So what your saying is that I should go back and get it. There is a whole tree that no one has touched!

Scoooter said:
So what your saying is that I should go back and get it. There is a whole tree that no one has touched!

It ok firewood, if you need more I would be on it.

Scooter - you sure are getting into a bunch of wood. Where are you finding it all?

They have been trimming all the power lines around us, so there is a ton of wood all over the place, mainly Polar and Sycamore but I've found some Locust every now and then. And apparently there is one black walnut tree too :)

Tons of pine too, but I don't burn that in my stove so I don't have a need for it, My brother in law burns it in his fire pit so we got a bunch for him. I was thinking about getting some for my fire pit but I am trying to not to get killed by my wife :) at the same time.

Scott

is that the same wood that I thought was black walnut in your last thread?...compare the 2 and you decide. I love burning black walnut. expecially this time of year. easy cutting, easy splitting and seasons quickly.

No different wood, about 10 miles away from each other....

smokinjay said:

I thought the heartwood was kinda small, too.
No walnut around here that I know of.

Fast growth in a clearing ?

billb3 said:
smokinjay said:

I thought the heartwood was kinda small, too.
No walnut around here that I know of.

Fast growth in a clearing ?

I'd say so.Be nice to see the percentage of heartwood the butt log of the other tree has.
Black Walnut smells great,whether sawing/shaping,splitting or burning.

I love the smell of Black Walnut. I love how easy it is to split as well. I think it gets a bad rap on here honestly......I finally got to my dry black walnut stack and have burned that the last week at night and wasnt expecting too much from it because of what I read on here. Well it surpassed my expectations for sure!! It burns great and gets the stove nice and hot! Doesnt last as long as Ash or Oak, but its still great firewood if you ask me......

Smells great in the pile. I can smell the stuff I just split from 50 feet away!

Attachments

• tree47.jpg
    tree47.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 196
Status
Not open for further replies.