I'm Flummoxed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I'm still hopeful of getting a new stove for this fall and was splitting up some ash today for my 2012/13 supply so thought I'd pull out a few pieces of the ash I split this spring that I plan on burning this fall and a piece of ash from my 2011/12 pile from the cord I was going to steal for this fall and see how they are doing. After resplitting them, the stuff I split this spring is already at 20% so I figure I will be golden for fall but the piece i split that has been split and stacked a year ago was at 30%. WTF!?! So I pull 2 more pieces out and the first one tests out at 20% but the next also tests out at 30%.

This is the stuff I was going to burn first this fall but now I'm not sure what to do. My yard is very shady so my stacks don't get much sun but I'm shocked that after a year that ash wouldn't be in better shape. The stuff I split in the spring is in the sunniest part of the yard but was not intended to be a permanent stacking location but I may have to rethink that.

I can move that cord up to right behind my house which I was going to do this fall but it also gets a lot sun but I was going to stack solid due to size considerations but don't think that is a good idea because I won't get any air flow.

I thought being 3 years ahead would assure me of great wood but now, I'm not so sure.

Awww wendel it has, you have real choices now! lol 2 more big months left to season...My stacks are wanting to fall down and looks like some one is steeling wood I am on the right track.. Wait til the newbies weigh there choices! lol

Wendell, Are you sure that was ash that you tested at 30%. White ash is usually 35% fresh cut!

gzecc said:
Wendell, Are you sure that was ash that you tested at 30%. White ash is usually 35% fresh cut!

Yes, it's ash and yes, I know, that is why I'm flummoxed. :mad:

wendell said:
gzecc said:

Thats why the MM are just a tool good judement is the best tool! Go with what you know and still 2 big months left...Its hot and getting hotter!

I'm going to have a similar issue I believe.(crazy with 15+ cords on hand)

I have 5 cords of mostly oak cut/split in March of 09 and 3 cords of white ash cut in Oct. 2009/split Dec. 09-Jan. 2010. I split a piece of the oak a while back and it was still in the high 20's in the middle. I haven't checked the ash yet but figure it may be better. I burned ash cut/split in March of 09 last year and it burned pretty good so I know the ash I have for this year will be fine if I need it. Either way I'll obviously burn what is better come winter.

The good news is I have 2/3 cord of Dennis wood, nearly 3 cords of silver maple and about 2/3 cord of poplar that is ready right now.

wendell said:

One tree healthy and one standing dead or dying?

rdust said:
wendell said:

Yeah, that is possible but even healthy, it should be down more than 5% in a year. I should add the ends were at 2%, in about 2" was at 19%. I now MM aren't really accurate but I have always found the readings from mine to make sense. And again, the ash I cut this spring is already at 20% so the stuff I cut a year ago should be less than that.

wendell said:
rdust said:
wendell said:

Yeah, that is possible but even healthy, it should be down more than 5% in a year. I should add the ends were at 2%, in about 2" was at 19%. I now MM aren't really accurate but I have always found the readings from mine to make sense. And again, the ash I cut this spring is already at 20% so the stuff I cut a year ago should be less than that.

If you have an outside pit would be a good time to pick-up a couple stakes and cook it over an ash fire...and report back.

Like Jay said. Dig some of that stuff out and build a fire. See how it burns and use those results to determine if it is ready to burn.

Wendell, I've said it before but it bears repeating. Every once in a while we'll get some ash that just does not burn really great. I've never figured it out as to why it is but it does happen. Fortunately, it is not usually the whole tree that is bad but just parts of the tree. Also, I've never used a moisture meter nor do I feel that I want to even use one if one were given to me. I probably would not believe the meter reading anyway...

Part of the stack I put up this spring came down today so I pulled out 4 larger pieces and re-split them. All of them were at 20% about an inch in and about 25 to 30% smack dab in the middle. The pieces with the higher reading were the ones with bark on them.

I am going to move my year old stack up onto the patio behind the house in the next week and see if the extra sun can get it drying a little faster before winter. Of course, if I don't get my new stove this will all be moot.

Maybe you put too much faith in that moisture meter Wendell?! Have you tried to burn some of it yet?

Possibly, but the results I have gotten from it have always matched pretty well with how things have burned in the stove. I have not burned any yet. Waiting for the neighbor to have a fire in his outdoor pit so I can toss some in.

I dont need a moisture meter either but I was curious so I got the cheapie HF one and so far it has been dead on with what I think the wood should be at, this includes some 3 year old wood one year and some green oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.