I'm getting weak, lazy, or old. I need hydraulics.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
This pine is killing me. I,m doing 18" splits for the new stove and there are just so many knots that it's nearly impossible to split by hand. Now my electric splitter is having problems. Not enoug of the other stuff to burn for next season. I need this pine to make it through.

I need a gas powered 22-ton+ splitter. Will report back after I convince the accountant that this is a need.

Started splitting logs manually when I was 16.Bought Speeco 20 ton with 8HP Tecumseh when I was 32 because clearing a low swampy area of large Elms for a watermelon patch & several Butternut & Black Walnut trees.Used the splitter until Dec 2005 when I sold it when needing quick cash due to a pre-Xmas temp layoff.Back to splitting manual since.Will be 48 in less than 2 months.Some days its quite tiring but after a few minutes warm up,it really helps keep me in shape.

If I can do it,so can you.

So, what i'm reading is that it would be a good investment in case I get laid off. ;) I am 33, so I'm about a year late, if I use you as a gauge...

Danno77 said:
So, what i'm reading is that it would be a good investment in case I get laid off. ;) I am 33, so I'm about a year late, if I use you as a gauge...

LOL I didnt do too bad on it really.Bought it new $950,always stored indoors,kept it clean,well maintained.Sold it 9 yrs later for $650. Some days on those few really stubborn ones I wish I still had it,but I can always make a saw cut or two for pennies + I dont worry about getting everything done in one day now.There's always tommorow.

Well.... I picked up the I&O from "United Rental" as a used unit. $1K , with service records. Honda motor. So far so good, I have a 3-way ownership, so it's split about 30- 50 cord without a hitch. (probably more). I&O is a great company to deal with, I mean great. I have no regrets, period.

Bought that 20 ton in 1988 and ain't looked back. If I didn't own it this place would not be heated with wood. When it quits and I can't fix it I quit and call the firewood sellers.

A cure for tendinitis in my elbows was an hydraulic splitter. I think it should be taught in all medical schools.

Danno77 said:
my electric splitter is having problems.
Problems that can't be fixed, or is it just underpowered for the task at hand?

Woody Stover said:
Danno77 said:
There's a pressure release switch and valve assembly (don't know what it's technically called without looking at my manual) that is sticking, so I can run it through a round, then get my needle nose pliers and pull the switch out, then repeat with very split. Probably could fix it, but it's one more way to justify the new splitter if I feel that's the way I want to go.

Danno77 said:
Woody Stover said:
Danno77 said:
There's a pressure release switch and valve assembly (don't know what it's technically called without looking at my manual) that is sticking, so I can run it through a round, then get my needle nose pliers and pull the switch out, then repeat with very split. Probably could fix it, but it's one more way to justify the new splitter if I feel that's the way I want to go.
WD-40? Then you can properly research your splitter options and make a good decision, not impulse-buy under pressure like I usually do. :lol:

Danno77 said:
This pine is killing me. I,m doing 18" splits for the new stove and there are just so many knots that it's nearly impossible to split by hand. ....
Until you get your splitter figured out, would it work for you to slab away from the knots? I had a big, knotty pine like that a couple of years ago and gave up on trying to get uniform splits out of it. I ended up with lots of irregular/odd-shaped splits but, like everything else, it burned just fine after 1.5 years. It also makes stacking more challenging, but that's why I pay myself the big bucks to do this work %-P,

33 years old in this game, you can justify a splitter that will be used for 30 years! Just saying........ ;-) Oh and its still not easy being on a splitter.

Split for 30 years by hand. When I started needing help from my son, I knew it was time to buy a hydraulic. Sure wish I would have done it sooner. When my back gets to hurting, I sit on a milk crate and split vertical......which will probably be from now on since as many of you know I was in an accident in June and trying to recover from a broken back.

I split by hand a few more years that Steve and body problems is what drove me to the hydraulics. I laughed the day I split the first logs with it and was amazed at how easy it made the work. I still feel that way but would split some by hand if possible. Well, occasionally I might split one or two just for the heck of it but those hydraulics are hard to beat. Our splitter is 20 ton and works great with good speed too.

Pine usually only splits easily when it is in board form that goes in to a project that will be in a high trafic, high visibility and or of high sentimentality. (LOL of course). I generally quit trying to split pine with a hand maul when the power of hydraulics proved its self evidence. Even with hydraulics the pie wedge split is the best. Going from the "stump" end of a round to the "top" direction aim your wedge between the knotts always works best for me. Even so there are times that I miscalculate and end up tearing the round apart instead of splitting it. The truth is though that holding the control lever it much easier than 5-10 wacks with the spilling maul. Heavily knotted wood or stringy stuff like elm usually goes right straight to the hydraulics because the ones that don't go there first usually remind me why they should. It's not laziness, weakness or old age (even if they qualify) it's getting other things done too!

TreePointer said:
A cure for tendinitis in my elbows was an hydraulic splitter. I think it should be taught in all medical schools.
If thats the case TP, youre putting too much effort into it and not letting the tool do the work. Im 44 and can split at least 4 times as fast with a truck load of logs. For me, time is important cuz Ive always got something to do, even if its get some rest. BTW Ive gotten tennis elbow from whackin underbrush with a machete and being a truck driver it was miserable attempting to shift in these mountains. I learned how to never suffer from it again.

I got tired of having split wood by hand growing up. In 1973 during the winter, I decided to build a splitter so I did. To this day I still use it. Had to replace the engine a few years back as the old Model 23 B&S finally became a real B**** to start. Last year I replaced the hydraulic hoses. All in all, not a bad investment. God only knows how much wood that thing has split. Today with the Honda engine, it starts with one or two pulls, runs smooth and does a days work when called on. With any kind of luck, it will see me through my time.

Hydraulics is the only way to go.

I thought I'd have more people talking me outta this. Where's Quads when you need him?

Danno77 said:
I thought I'd have more people talking me outta this. Where's Quads when you need him?

He's still busy splitting with his trusty 8lb maul.Probably out there with a big ass spotlight right now.

Danno77 said:
This pine is killing me. I,m doing 18" splits for the new stove and there are just so many knots that it's nearly impossible to split by hand. Now my electric splitter is having problems. Not enoug of the other stuff to burn for next season. I need this pine to make it through.

I need a gas powered 22-ton+ splitter. Will report back after I convince the accountant that this is a need.

Sounds like the "accountant" needs a little more convincing..... Keep trying. You won't regret it. Neither will she when the snow is A$$ deep to a camel and the house is warm.

OK, accountant training time....OW...honey I hurt my arm and can't split for a month...? Can you split for me? It's gonna get cold in here it you don't! If she is not convinced by then maybe she will leave you alone when she starts laughing at how quickly you healed instead of slapping you around for goofing off. Bad side of that is she may end up liking the splitting an make you do the dishes. But then maybe you could buy her the splitter for her birthday! Okay so maybe the accountant didn't get an education. almost sounds like a win-win to me though...........

If you can afford the splitter go for it. I sure don't regret buying mine and even if I was physically able I don't think I would go back to splitting by hand. You could rent one for a day or two and finish your splitting which would give you some time to find a good deal on one.

Cave2k said:
OK, accountant training time....OW...honey I hurt my arm and can't split for a month...? Can you split for me? It's gonna get cold in here it you don't! If she is not convinced by then maybe she will leave you alone when she starts laughing at how quickly you healed instead of slapping you around for goofing off. Bad side of that is she may end up liking the splitting an make you do the dishes. But then maybe you could buy her the splitter for her birthday! Okay so maybe the accountant didn't get an education. almost sounds like a win-win to me though...........
She wouldn't buy it. I don't stop, even when I'm seriously injured. She's tried splitting and it was just pretty darn funny. She's tough and pretty athletic, but she just couldn't get anything split. Oh well. It's like mowing the yrd. She could do it, but I consider it my domain because I enjoy doing those types of things.

You do give me an idea, though. MY birthday is in September...maybe I should ask for one.

certified106 said:
I don't think I would go back to splitting by hand.
I find it immensely satisfying to whack stuff with a club. That's probably why I like golf as well as splitting by hand. :cheese: Wood split by hand is also much prettier; You get a lot of mangled stuff with hydraulics.
But I'm at the age where I have to save what's left of my body so the tough stuff goes to the power splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.