I'm not a scrounger but....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Last fall one county re-did a popular county road. We take that road a lot times if we go to a certain town. There was a big stink, newspaper write-ups, petitions and what not because of one area that had lots of hard maples. The residents lost and in this particular case, I felt they should lose because most of those maples were beginning to show lots of signs of becoming a definite problem. Lots of dead limbs, rot showing, etc. So evidently 2 of the home owners had them cut the trees and then stack them on their land rather than hauling away. Today we drove through there again and there is a lot of hard maple just laying there. No signs they are for sale and I don't think they burn wood. It sure would be nice to see some needy person be able to get some really good firewood there. I wonder how long it will lay there?

Knock on the door and ask! Time for the inner scrounger in you to surface. If you're so inclined, tell them you want to save the wood for a needy family. Who would so no to that?

Actually I'd much rather see someone else get that wood and one fellow just came to mind so I think I'll give him a call.

I have access to all the oak & hickory I could ever want,do the occasional scrounge & cutting for hire when time & schedule permit also with a limited storage area here in town.If it was me,I still would be going after some of that if it was close by.Sounds like a sweet deal,hard to believe it hasnt been grabbed yet.

It would be a bit far for me but if I needed the wood I'd surely go after it. As it is, we have a couple of fellows cutting from our woods and we still have wood going to waste so it just would not be worth my time to go haul it all that ways.

as far as I am concerned, any wood that is not rotting, and laying around, should be used for burning. I would go ask them. If they don't burn, then they will probably be glad it is gone. My parents had some large limbs taken down when they were in MI and before my dad could get it stacked by the road, some people offered to take it so he let them. Our county recently trimmed along the roads and shredded everything but the large stuff, which they stacked----lasted about 5 days and someone got it-----hehehe before I had a chance.

I've got allot of wood from highway projects & clearing jobs.
Sometimes if it's on private property, some owners are initially upset that they lost their "buffer" trees , understandable.
But I've had some good luck when I've asked, & understand their situation. Even had them help.
I usually ask, "where do you want me to stack the brush/limbs (within reason) & if they would like any cut for their use.
Been lucky & got several loads & met some nice folks.

With the owners blessing, you could easily put a CL ad out for the rest of us scroungers...we'll do the work

Well, in the end, I found a much better deal yesterday! It is called barter. We will be working out the details next week and I'm sure it will be good for both parties. Maybe I'll post it once the deal is final.

Envy people who do not have to scrounge. Grew up on 27 acres- we would just go in the back and choose what we were going to burn the next season. Now i find myself putting out the word that i am willing to cut for people, looking for downed trees etc. to get wood. Just cannot bring myself to buy wood- seems to defeat the purpose. But, tomorrow I will be going to the neighbors who has told me he has quite a few trees he wants me to take down for him. Love this process- NOT!

Backwoods Savage said:
It would be a bit far for me but if I needed the wood I'd surely go after it. As it is, we have a couple of fellows cutting from our woods and we still have wood going to waste so it just would not be worth my time to go haul it all that ways.

You have too much wood?
You are truly blessed!

Grew up on 27 acres- we just went out back, chose what we wanted to burn and dropped em. Now I am in a position where I have to scrounge for wood. I cut for neighbors, get the word out around town etc. just to get enough wood from year to year. Never thought I would be glad to see and ice storm, but two years ago it made finding wood easy!

Hate having to find wood this way, but I do what i have to do. Cannot justify buying firewood- think it is more of a pride thing.

Remkel said:
Grew up on 27 acres- we just went out back, chose what we wanted to burn and dropped em. Now I am in a position where I have to scrounge for wood. I cut for neighbors, get the word out around town etc. just to get enough wood from year to year. Never thought I would be glad to see and ice storm, but two years ago it made finding wood easy!

Hate having to find wood this way, but I do what i have to do. Cannot justify buying firewood- think it is more of a pride thing.

I'm with but have bought log lengths years ago when I was working & time was more crunched.
My buy a log length load this year. Waiting to see what some the other irons I have in the fire work out to.
I think log length is 1/2 or less the price, & I do enjoy cutting/splitting wood. I mean the real work is in CSS & seasoning time &
is great exercise.

Good luck. & Deep down, you know it's fun work & you enjoy the most all of the process.

Part of the joy is in the satisfaction of seeing and feeling the direct result of my hard work. I really do love the work except on the day after I go a little crazy and completely overdo it. I have a brother that heats with wood but not 24/7. I tell him, he does it because he's cheap, I do it because I love it. Does that make it a 'labor of love' ?

bogydave said:
Backwoods Savage said:

You have too much wood?
You are truly blessed!

You are right Dave! We are truly blessed. We can be picky on what we cut. If it is marginal, we have no problem just leaving it for Nature. Someone once asked me why I didn't cut some poplar and birch in one area. Well, I could, but it doesn't take any longer to cut the ash and there is a whole lot more heat in ash than in popple and birch! We do cut a few birch once in a while though.

Status
Not open for further replies.