I'm not going to be the one to tell her.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
That she is not a house chicken. That she will be going back outside into the blustery cold.

She is back to full health, but has stopped laying and joined the old cow dog next to the stove, not to be moved.
I have opened the door and suggested she find her place back in the flock. No luck.

I know, I know, pictures.

She is a house chicken (what's her name?)

She's teaching you. Remember that.

*Waits for pics*

Now those are going to be some pics to see, for sure! Just lay a can of chicken soup within sight and let her know that she still needs to make toilet outside!

Chickens are smarter than most think! We have one that climbs on the deck(a dozen steps) and peeks in the window. I swear if you opened it, she walz in. Usually around dinner time.

I'll snap a pic for proof. Crazy bird!

Okay, no comments about dust, ashes, or sloppy bookshelves. The last two weekends have been paper writing hell (me) and science fair hell (the boy) so the house has been severely neglected. This is the boy, the cat, and the chicken (in his lap) watching the Grammys. There's your stove pic BB.

exhibit A: the house hen.

Attachments

• househen.jpg
    househen.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 829
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Okay, no comments about dust, ashes, or sloppy bookshelves. The last two weekends have been paper writing hell (me) and science fair hell (the boy) so the house has been severely neglected. This is the boy, the cat, and the chicken (in his lap) watching the Grammys. There's your stove pic BB.

There's something wrong with this?

Exhibit everything--->
checking out her online profile
pecking out her disfavor of the "yard chicken" threats
exiting the scene. Not so interested in discussing the wood stove. Just wants it reloaded asap so she and the cow dog can get cozy now that the boy has taken his lap to bed.

Attachments

• hen1.jpg
    hen1.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 780
  • hen2.jpg
    hen2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 761
  • hen3.jpg
    hen3.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 764
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
:lol: I told the girls at work I had crossed a line. They wanted to point out I had crossed a line a looong time

ago. Name is Pumpkin. I just lost my other mille fleur to ~who knows what~, so we've been holding her very close.

No housekeeping critique here. Any mama that makes their own child do their science fair project is a fine and responsible person as far as I'm concerned. The bookshelf will still be there when you come up for air. Write on.

I'm pulling an all nighter or a whatever-it-takes tonight to work my way through the last box of paperwork I'm behind on. Was at work all afternoon and into the evening, and when the empty building just started getting to creaky and shadowy, I threw everything left in a box and left. Called DS from the car and told him that dinner was coming from a drive-through tonight, pick your poison. He called a double-bacon western burger combo, and that's what I got him. And I don't even feel guilty about it. Okay, well, a little. If I make it through this box, and get back to work tomorrow and process all my paperwork, I will be over the moon. Will have to get a superhero for an avatar.

Speaking of avatars, your chicken may have seen yours, explaining why she might be reluctant to go back outside. Okay, my kindling is well-ignited, time to throw some birch splits on and get to work here.

ETA: Okay, this was not well thought out. I did not factor the cat in with the paperwork--I laid it out neatly in stacks, which she immediately took possession of. I started to work on the laptop in the slumped-on-the-couch-with-feet-up position. She shifted to my chest. At least your chicken stays off the paperwork, right?

Offered her the box I brought the papers home in. No sale. Hardly even warranted her scorn.
No name for the beastie, yet, but her species has been identified: cattus horribilis.

I can see why she doesn't want to leave the house.

Do you have her house trained?

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
:lol: I told the girls at work I had crossed a line. They wanted to point out I had crossed a line a looong time

ago. Name is Pumpkin. I just lost my other mille fleur to ~who knows what~, so we've been holding her very close.

Looks like she's the golden hen and knows it. I have to admit, she's quite beautiful.

Nice pictures there!!!

Kylie stopped laying over a year ago, and gradually attained pet status, being allowed into the house etc....... (well, naming chickens is always a bad idea if you have any ideas about knocking them off when they stop laying)........

However, over a year into "retirement", and much to our surprise, she has come started laying eggs again.

Of course, there is always the possibility that she has been quietly laying all the time and someone else has been getting the credit........... ;-)

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Okay, no comments about dust, ashes, or sloppy bookshelves..

Pfft Kat...who cares about that stuff..... >:-(
I am sure when your son gets older he will not remember dust or sloppy bookshelves (as you say, not me, I see none of that!)
He will remember what a kick a$$ mamma he had growing up and all the awesome stuff you taught him.

BTW....Pumpkin is adorable....love her "checking out" her online profile...LMFAO...

AWESOME PICTURE!!

j-takeman said:
Chickens are smarter than most think! We have one that climbs on the deck(a dozen steps) and peeks in the window. I swear if you opened it, she walz in. Usually around dinner time.

so maybe the neighbor sent the chicken over to check out your pellet supply jay

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

+1. Nothing here to see....move along.
Well, aside from the house chicken. When I was many, many moons younger, we got a blue/gold macaw. House bird.
Stove in frame would have been nice. :cheese:

K- Nice house,nice kid, nice bird!

Raised a few birds when I was a kid. Sold their eggs to pay for bicycles. Had a rooster that I taught how to ride the handle-bars of the bike.

smilejamaica said:
j-takeman said:

so maybe the neighbor sent the chicken over to check out your pellet supply jay

She's a spy? Chicken soup! ;-)

She was on recon for a new coop. Looks like she found it.

Chickens definitely can be loads of strangeness, there is nothing quite like chicken TV.

Carry on Pumpkin.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
That she is not a house chicken. That she will be going back outside into the blustery cold.

She is back to full health, but has stopped laying and joined the old cow dog next to the stove, not to be moved.
I have opened the door and suggested she find her place back in the flock. No luck.

I know, I know, pictures.
My daughter has a few chickens and they can get an attitude once in a while, will be interesting how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.