I'm Tired

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k9brain

Nov 16, 2010
Jersey Shore
Here at the Jesey Shore There's plenty of wood for the takin. There's a lot of oak, maple and pine. I'm just taking locust thats doesn't have too many branches on it or isn't too punky, too large or too small. There's a few truck loads left on the roads but I'll leave most of it there. I don't want to use the saw in front of anyones house and I don't have much room for it any way.

There will be more as the trees not in critical areas are cut up in the weeks to come. From what I heard on Monday; you can forget about getting a tree serfvice to your house before Friday.

I'm already a couple years ahead, I'll burn this stuff next winter and give the oak another year to season.

I wonder if the wood mongers are gonna have a hard time selling wood in this area?

Attachments

• stax2a.jpg
    stax2a.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 565
  • stax1a.jpg
    stax1a.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 561
I also notice that Nelson tree service trucks are just sitting on the side of the road. These are the trucks they use for clearing the utility lines. They haven't moved since the storm. I would think they would be out there cutting some trees.

Attachments

• Nelson.jpg
    Nelson.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 539
Make some room. As long as it doesn't come down on your house, it is manna from heaven.

Nice score!

k9brain said:
or isn't too punky,

I dont think I've ever seen punky black locust....that stuff lasts FOREVER. Nice score with the storm wood. Lots here on the Island,too.

Wow! You will be years ahead in no time?

I have been doing same here. Just about out of room with so much more available. The more Black Locust I get, the longer my Oak has to season.

One has to make hay when the sun shines.

Backwoods Savage said:
One has to make hay when the sun shines.

Take advantage of as much wood that's lying around as you can.

Anything that's still standing is likely to be standing for a while..... ;-)

wood-fan-atic said:
k9brain said:
or isn't too punky,

I dont think I've ever seen punky black locust....that stuff lasts FOREVER.
I just got a little BL, branches that were lying on the ground, and a couple small dead trees. Seems like the wood it the center is the first to decay. Several had the centers rotted out. leaving a hollow round. I didn't split the solid ones open yet to see the condition of the wood in the center...just looks a little spotty on the ends of a few larger rounds. Branches are, for the most part, bone-dry and ready to burn, as is the wood on the hollow ones. :coolsmile:

I went back out today to get a couple more truck loads. I already have ~4 - 5 cord split and stacked, mostly oak but some maple and walnut, a little pine. My processing area now holds ~3 cord of oak and pear but mostly locust. I'm done for a while. I can't see burning more than 2 cord a year, so I can now pick and choose when I get the room. Fells good to be ahead.

I had one tree guy call me practically begging me to take a load of oak before he brings it to the dump. A couple people stopped by while I was loading up saying they had wood in front of their house. Could I come and take it? I don't wanna sound like a braggart but when it rains, it pours. There's still lots of good wood out there.

If anyone in the Jesrsey Shore area is willing to pay for gas and wants wood I'm willing to help out. You gotta help me load and unload.

Status
Not open for further replies.