Impressed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
We installed an Avalon Astoria (I think) in our office electrically-heated office in northern New York State and our January electric bill went from $1,500 to $500. Over the course of a heating season (around here, from October through late April), that's gonna add up to some serious beer money for our 4-person staff. So far, we've burned just under 3 tons. I'm thinking probably 5 or 6 in a typical Northwoods winter. We're burning New England Wood Pellets and paying around $240 per ton (delivered).

So, like I said, I'm impressed.

Oh, and our work environment is a lot warmer than it used to be, although we don't heat the basement anymore, which undoubtedly adds to the savings. I'm a wood stove/cast iron radiator kind of guy, so it's nice to have a place at work to warm my ass.

Its nice to here a happy story once in a while.

Maybe we can convert a cord wood guy?

It's a good looking thang too!!!

No chance on the conversion, smoke show, but it's nice to get the workplace off electricity and onto some form of wood. I wouldn't give up my boiler at home, that's for sure--unless I could cut my own pellets for free.

Eric Johnson said:
We installed an Avalon Astoria (I think)......

Congrats on the stove install....but around here, we say "no pics=it really didn't happen".

Plus, if you get close enough, we can identify it (I owned an Astoria before).

I'll post one in the morning when I get into work and get a look at the model nameplate. But I think it's an Astoria. Big mother. Nice installation, too.

Does it look like this?

Attachments

• Astoria5.jpg
    Astoria5.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 307
Good time to hit the boss up for a raise as you know he has some extra money!

Tom C.

imacman said:
Does it look like this?

That's it, except for the gold trimming. Ours is just flat black, but it's the same stove.

One thing we've noticed it that it will shut down without warning. We assume that's an air starvation issue. Also, occasionally the flame will go out, but the auger will keep pumping out pellets, so that can't restart because the burner is jammed up with pellets. Minor issues that I assume we'll figure out over time. We have it on the manual setting, i.e., no thermostat.

I think we're all due for a raise once our board of directors sees how much money we're saving. Gotta emphasize the work involved in hauling the bags of pellets up from the basement. A trip to the bathroom = another bag hauled upstairs.

Tom, I was just up in Littleton a couple of weeks ago interviewing log trucker Luther Crowe for a magazine article. Beautiful country, of course.

Eric Johnson said:
One thing we've noticed it that it will shut down without warning. We assume that's an air starvation issue. Also, occasionally the flame will go out, but the auger will keep pumping out pellets, so that can't restart because the burner is jammed up with pellets. Minor issues that I assume we'll figure out over time. We have it on the manual setting, i.e., no thermostat......

Is this a new or used stove? Sounds like a dirty stove, or maybe a comb. blower not running right/dirty. I had mine for 2 winters and never had a bit of trouble with it.

Brand new. Maybe I should call the shop we bought it from.

Eric Johnson said:
Tom, I was just up in Littleton a couple of weeks ago interviewing log trucker Luther Crowe for a magazine article. Beautiful country, of course.

PM sent

Status
Not open for further replies.