In need of the best cast iron top loader

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andy420

Feb 10, 2008
Minnesota hick
Hi All,

I've used a VC acclaim for the last 18 years and am now ready for a new stove. I love the top loading and hope to replace it with the BEST stove out there. My needs are....

top load
cast iron
1 front door with glass
good ash system
low clearance to back wall
good warranty
non cat

All I can find is the harman oakwood which looks good but you guys scared the crap outta me with your posts about there $ troubles.

Thanks for any input....

Andy420

Have you looked at the Isle-Royale?

If the Isle-Royale is the best stove I can live with 2 doors.

Should I be afraid of the top door stoves? A stove guy told me that there is more stuff to go wrong or need adjusting on top loaders.

The top door has a gasket around it, and the weight of the door holds it down. I've only
had mine a few days, but I love it. One thing that I noticed is that ash stays in when using
the top loading. With the front doors open, I get a little ash falling out onto the lip of the bottom
of the stove. It is easier to pack the stove using the front doors though.

Attachments

• wood box.jpg
    wood box.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 562
I'm a fan of the Isle Royale as well. Have you also considered the VC Encore Cat?

andy420 said:
Hi All,

I've used a VC acclaim for the last 18 years and am now ready for a new stove. I love the top loading and hope to replace it with the BEST stove out there. My needs are....

top load
cast iron
1 front door with glass
good ash system
low clearance to back wall
good warranty
non cat

All I can find is the harman oakwood which looks good but you guys scared the crap outta me with your posts about there $ troubles.

Thanks for any input....

Andy420

I wouldn't let Harmon's money problems worry me, they were bought out by Quadrafire. I have the Oakwood and have been generally happy with it now that I have mastered the learning curve of it. The big plus, long burn times, 10 + hours no problem. The things that don't meet your requirments, needs good wall clearance, I have recorded temps of over 500 degrees on the back of my stove when the secondary is doing it's thing. The ash system is great for not being messy, but needs to be emptied daily if burned 24/7. The stove is designed to be run 24/7 and works best this way and was part of the learning curve I talked about.Other than that it's a great stove and has kept the oil man away from my house this winter.

The photo may be deceiving. That's a 24 x 16 foot room with a 9 foot ceiling. It's by the open stairway so that heat goes up
into the upstairs great room, where there's a ceiling fan. It couldn't go any closer to the wall or any further away
from that hallway and still keep a straight shot up with the stovepipe. So far, it works great to heat the entire 2100
square foot house--even when it was 10 below zero yesterday. We'll probably do some brick work between the stove
and the wall eventually. For now, I'm just enjoying the heat.

Attachments

• rocking chair.jpg
    rocking chair.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 438
look at that.. lonley rocker in front of the fire.....
go sit down and watch!

northwinds said:
The photo may be deceiving. That's a 24 x 16 foot room with a 9 foot ceiling. It's by the open stairway so that heat goes up
into the upstairs great room, where there's a ceiling fan. It couldn't go any closer to the wall or any further away
from that hallway and still keep a straight shot up with the stovepipe. So far, it works great to heat the entire 2100
square foot house--even when it was 10 below zero yesterday. We'll probably do some brick work between the stove

Still looks like its in the middle of the room to me... But I am spoiled with my 6.5" rear clearance to combustible walls. I bet it heats the entire house nicely tho.

Backpack09 said:
northwinds said:

Still looks like its in the middle of the room to me... But I am spoiled with my 6.5" rear clearance to combustible walls. I bet it heats the entire house nicely tho.

In the best of worlds, it's closer to the wall. but a straight up shot with the pipe from there would put the Class A chimney
in the middle of the great room and its beautiful hickory floors. The walk-in closet seemed a more prudent choice.

Well, I would say if you want a VC the only good option is the CAT stove: several models still made.
But, there are so many folks having a good time and good luck with the Isle Royale that your money would be best spent there. Short term/long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.