In search of caulking tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
I'm in the process of scraping out and replacing old caulk around not just one shower, but 32. My in-laws run a hotel and we're starting spring cleaning a bit early. What I do know is that it is important to get the old caulk up and the surface area as clean as possible before laying another bead. What tools can you recommend using? My current array of tools include various box cutters and a paint scraper. All in all, I think I'm doing a good job, but it takes quite a long time. Any suggestions on how to speed up the process?

When it comes to laying a new bead, I'm getting better at it. For awhile, I was using a wet fingertip to finish off the bead. But then I found one of those rubber tools that have various shaped corners. This seems to more evenly spread the caulk as well as make for less excess. Again, any tips on how to get it right?

You are probably doing it as good as it can get. Just make sure to get ALL of the old caulk out of there. Even where it may have dripped or smeared from the previous application. All of it gone means a nicer finish. I see you are in the Alps so this is probably a nice place and you know what you are doing already.

Oh and the rubber tips are the perfect way to get a smooth bead also. Keep up the good work!

Have never tried one, but I've seen claims that one of those oscillating nose "multi-tools" is supposed to be very good for removing caulk... Probably wouldn't do all that much better than you are doing by hand, but might speed up the process a little...

Gooserider

If you're doing that many, the tool that Goose mentioned would really cut your time down, they work great. There's also the typical grout remover hand tool. Be careful to not chip the tiles as you go. This place has some pretty good hand tools--> http://www.vancouvertool.com/VTC12.html

Drewmo - use 1/2" masking tape and mask both sides of where you want to lay the bead ... It might take a little longer the first few but you'll get the hang of it quick and it will save a lot of clean up time and the end result looks better with a sharp , clean line.

Thanks for the tips. The square little rubber things appear to be doing a pretty good job of making an even bead. Sometimes I need to go back over it with my finger. Removing the old caulk will always need a bit of elbow grease, I'm afraid. Although that professional Vancouver Tool gizmo looks rather intimidating. Might have to try to find one.

The tool Gooserider is probably referring to is the Fein "Multi-Master". This tool works on an oscillating (moving back and forth very quickly) principal. Various cutting, scraping and sanding heads are available for many applications including removing caulk and grout. I am using one now in one of my showers to remove grouted corners. The tool and its various heads are very high quality, very expensive but very effective at their intended purpose. It can be a significant time saver in many applications.

I have no financial or other interest in the Fein company. I just like tools that work as they are intended.

Best wishes,

John_M

I was playing with my new dremel tool last night, it has attachments for everything. Everything including a caulk removal tool! Do you have a dremel? The attachment can't be more than a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.