In the right place at the right time...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
...which was 50 yards away when I heard a cracking sound and turned to watch this fall to the ground! It's White Ash, about 15" DBH. The top broke up when it hit the ground but there appears to be some meat left in the lower trunk. It wasn't super-windy but apparently this one was ready to go. I hear crashes in the woods from time to time, but have never seen one until now. I wish I could have seen some of the bigger ones go down. I have heard and seen some big limbs drop...

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/080.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/081.jpg

I have had two big ash come down in my back yard - about 80-100yds from the house this year. One that had a long split in it and I teased a little with the saw and let mother nature do the rest because I was afraid of the barber chair and the other, a monster with a 25+" base that just decided it was time.

Both times I as fortunate enough to be just standing at the slider looking out back and I saw both come down. Very strange and ironic for sure but cool to see. Especially when they fall practically into the yard and are easy pickins.

I have 4 more that need to come down and I worry about them when I am out there. dangerous ash in these woods!!

Sweet! And I still say that if you weren't around at that moment, that damn tree still made a racket when it fell.........Cheers!

Woody, that is sweet because I don't see that you will have to cut many limbs. Just happy cutting all the way up. Should split like a dream also.

If a tree falls....

Nice to have firewood delivered!

Looks like spring time there.

Status
Not open for further replies.