In window pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boblavertu

Feb 17, 2012
Central Maine

I bought a window pellet stove from US Stove that has given me problems. After installation it worked for one night then the feed auger stopped working. US Stove sent a replacement part and stove worked great for three months. Last month after shutting down stove for cleaning, it re-ignited itself while still in shutdown mode. Thanks to smoke alarm I was alerted that stove wasn't exhausting smoke. Also the pellets in feed auger were ignited and smoking.
I turned stove on to get rid of smoke and move smoldering pellets into burn box. After everything had cleared up I shut down stove, made sure NOTHING was burning, empyted feed hopper and we went out for a take out pizza. While waiting for pizza son called to let us know that local fire department had been called out for a fire at our house. Stove had re-ignited again and the back had caught fire.
Company I got it from told me afterwards that over 90% of the stoves had had technical problems. I've spoken to one other person in the area that had similar problems.

Dexter say welcome to the owner of the stove in Oxford that burned stuff it shouldn't have and Don posted a link to.

Welcome to the forums Bob sorry to both see and hear about your experience.

Yep, they have been a bit of a disappointment. I got one and a half seasons out of mine and the control board went. I've preplaced it with an Englander and I'm going to see what I can work out with US Stove.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Dexter say welcome to the owner of the stove in Oxford that burned stuff it shouldn't have and Don posted a link to.

Welcome to the forums Bob sorry to both see and hear about your experience.

Welcome... Sorry for my manners.. ;-P

I kind of hate to bring this up but after reading of the problems and horror stories over the last few months I think maybe it needs to be done. Talk with your Fire Chief and make sure that he has sent copies of all the reports, investigator and witness statements to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. If these stoves are properly installed, operated and maintained and they are still causing fires they need to pulled from the market.

Smokey I could not find the link explaining what the owner was burning in the pellet stove.

Thanks Smokey.
Somehow I read into one of the posts that Bob had been burning something in the stove he should not have been, however after rereading Bob's post it appears he was burning wood pellets as he should have been.
Lucky for Bob that the neighbor helped him out. If he had stood there waiting for the fire trucks it might have been to late to save his home. Kudos to his neighbor.

Personally I ever had a good feeling about a window pellet stove.

No was just burning wood pellets. Would like to get a standard pellet stove but the woman of the house has gone from DEFINITELY NOT to NO to MAYBE next winter. Getting heating oil tank filled probably has a lot to do with the maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.