Indeck Energy.... Run AWAY!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Icemanxxxv

Oct 20, 2014
Smithville MO USA
Do not buy these pellets. I'm cleaning my Accentra 52I every 200 lbs. Just cleaned it Top to bottom front to back. 200lbs ago now I'm back to am lazy flame low heat and tons of ash. Nearly 4 gallons of ash from 200 lbs. I'm doing a full clean on it tomorrow after work. Hardly a pellet over half an inch long most average 3/8 inch long. My glass is sooted up within 24 hours. Gone through 3.5 tons of misery this season. I'll pay to run the heat pump next year if these are the only pellets my Local Menards can get. Run AWAY from Indeck!

Reactions: ABusWrench
Yes, these pellets suck! Make more ash than heat! Easy Heat are another brand to stay away from. imo

I wonder where they are made and what the feedstock is? The curiosity is Indeck owned biomass power plants at one point and sawdust and leaves delivered with fuel chips is a PITA to process. I was discussing with a biomass power plant customer several years ago that he put in low density screens to knock the sawdust and junk out of the chips and then run the rejects through a pellet mill. That would make their boiler run better with more uniform fuel chips and give them another source of revenue. One never knows and maybe Indeck is trying it?.

I sent them this email:
"I bought 5 tons of your hard wood pellets from my Local Kansas City Menards. They are the worst pellets ever. Heavy ash, low heat output, Hardly a pellet over 3/8's of an inch in length. They are just horrible! I'm having to dump the ash pan every day and a half, or about 2 to 3 bags through the insert and the ash pan is full. Within two days the glass looks like a season's worth of soot. I bought 5 tons for the season and have burned 3 tons since early October. I'm finding in order to maintain any kind of reasonable performance from the insert I'm having to do a full clean it between 200 and 500 lbs through it. As compared to other quality pellets I have burned in the past for example Somersets I was able to burn a full ton before a complete cleaning and go 5 to 7 days without dumping the ash pan. l will never purchase your products again. My Harman Accentra 52I is well maintained and in good condition, so don't go blaming the operator or low quality insert as the reason for this review. You should really up your quality standards because they borderline on false advertising".

Here was there response:

"We are sorry you are having a bad experience with our hardwood pellets. We appreciate you sharing your concern. We don’t usually hear this. Black soot is a result of poor combustion. This is most commonly cured by adjusting the air flow damper. When you change brands of pellets, it’s usually necessary to adjust your stove. Your stove’s owners-manual should explain your soot issue in their troubleshooting section. Somerset pellets are PFI certified, and ours are too. PFI (Pellet Fuel Institute) has strict requirements and require regular testing. The ash content is part of that testing, and ours are always less than 1%, which is what they require. Harmon is a good quality stove, and it should perform well for you with some adjustments".

Typical;sick

I'm surprised they even answered you. Grab some bags of another(better) brand and mix them. Hopefully that will help you burn them up.

I wonder where they are made and what the feedstock is? The curiosity is Indeck owned biomass power plants at one point and sawdust and leaves delivered with fuel chips is a PITA to process. I was discussing with a biomass power plant customer several years ago that he put in low density screens to knock the sawdust and junk out of the chips and then run the rejects through a pellet mill. That would make their boiler run better with more uniform fuel chips and give them another source of revenue. One never knows and maybe Indeck is trying it?.
Indeck does its pellet production in Ladysmith, Wis. IIRC, there is a window factory or two in the town, so they might get some feedstock there. Otherwise, the loggers in the area have cut paper mill pulpwood for years. Poplar, aspen, hard and soft maple are widespread species, along with some evergreens. I doubt that any evergreen species make it into their hardwood pellets.

The plant is fairly new -- I think they went on line in 2011 or 2012. Quality has always been uneven. But I have burned them with good results some seasons.