Independence or Okanagans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradH70

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2011
South West NH
I am getting ready to buy another ton of pellets (I know, not the best time to buy). I can get a ton of Independence for $219/ton (have to pick up) or Okanagans for 289/ton ($16 delivery). I already have 3 tons of Okanagans and know that they burn great, and hot. I tried 5 bags of Independence and they seemed OK but I'm wondering if the extra $69 is worth it for the Okanagans. Would the extra heat generated by the Okanagans make up for the $69 difference?

BradH70 said:
.....I tried 5 bags of Independence and they seemed OK but I'm wondering if the extra $69 is worth it for the Okanagans. Would the extra heat generated by the Okanagans make up for the $69 difference?

In this case, the Okies are costing you $1.38 more a bag.....is the heat they give off compared to the other brand worth this?

This sounds like a judgement call you'll have to make on your own.....you've burned both pellets and know what you're getting, heat wise.

How far do you need to travel for the Independence?

Hard to figure the heat factor with out knowing what each brand burns at and how long they burn for. Even with the known values, Its still tough to get that question nailed down unless one burns hotter and longer overall compared to the other. If one brand burns at a lower heat but longer its kind of a wash compare to the other brand that burns hotter for a slightly less length of time. But a pellet that burns hotter does give you a quicker heat rise on the cold days.

Independence were getting decent reviews last season, Some thought they were outstanding for the dollar value. You know the M55 will eat them, So if they aren't as hot you could always burn them in the shoulders(fall/spring) if you had to.

Suprised you can even find Okies, Some haven't had them for a while now and probably not going to get anymore of them until early January or so.

The Independence are just around the corner, and I might even be able to borrow a neighbors truck to get them. Otherwise it is 6 or 8 trips in the Volvo. So I guess I have to figure that into it as well.

Yeah, it is a tough call. NEWP are definitely not an option. The local dealer want's $52 to deliver them a wopping 8 miles! That makes the Okanagans almost a better buy because of the $16 delivery (and they are 22 miles away!).

There are seven billion people in this world and out of all seven billion people, you my friend, are the most qualified person in the world to answer this question. You have tried both and you know better than anyone how these burn in your stove. If I were you, I would consider the quality of the two, calculate their respective value, compare them against their respective retail price, and after much scientific analysis and mathematic calculation coupled with some intense pontification, buy the damn Okies because to put it in technical scientific terms, " They will kick the Independence Pellet's ass."

Ha Ha, that was the best answer to any question I have ever posted on this forum. :lol:

johnnycomelately said:
If I were you, I would consider the quality of the two, calculate their respective value, compare them against their respective retail price, and after much scientific analysis and mathematic calculation coupled with some intense pontification, buy the damn Okies because to put it in technical scientific terms, †They will kick the Independence Pellet’s ass.â€

You sir have just won todays internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.