Indication that I have too much wood....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
So the phone rings and a neighbor says "we have a pile of cut up black walnut that you are welcome to take". After thinking for a day or two, I called a friend that burns and will help him load up the entire pile tonight. Drove by and peeked at what looks like a solid 1.5 cords. Giving it up was not due to the lack of lawn left, becuase there is plenty of room. It is more an issue of drive to finish what has been started. There is close to 2 cords of hickory bucked that must be split and brought home, at least that much on the ground to be stacked along with 3/4 cord of oak, 2.5 cords of ash, 3/4 cord of locust and another 3/4 of cherry.

I know what you mean. I've got several cords waiting to be bucked and brought home, and my processing area is probably about 3/4 full. But I just saw a big Pin Oak that was cut down yesterday and got the OK to grab it (pics are forthcoming.) ::-) I'll be working on that tomorrow. I want to keep it because it's fresh wood and I have enough time to let it dry. I can always give some of these scores that have been lying around for a while to some of the other folks I supply. The wood's still fine...just not perfect. I'm sick, I know. ;lol

If it was just Walnut, I would pass on it too.

So the phone rings and a neighbor says "we have a pile of cut up black walnut that you are welcome to take". After thinking for a day or two, I called a friend that burns and will help him load up the entire pile tonight. Drove by and peeked at what looks like a solid 1.5 cords. Giving it up was not due to the lack of lawn left, becuase there is plenty of room. It is more an issue of drive to finish what has been started. There is close to 2 cords of hickory bucked that must be split and brought home, at least that much on the ground to be stacked along with 3/4 cord of oak, 2.5 cords of ash, 3/4 cord of locust and another 3/4 of cherry.

mywaynow,
You know what they say "a bird in the hand". Besides, variety is the spice of life, so I would add the Walnut to your mixed stash. You have the room. Grab it.
Tim

Glad you found it a nice home or your FREE WOOD karma may have been seriously damaged!!

It's a good thing when you turn on a friend to free walnut since you won't take it, and help to load it too. Good on ya!

You just got a whole bunch of demerits for not taking the wood. HOWEVER, you recouped enough by hooking up your friend to make it up.
I'd say you're on the plus side. Good on ya'.

Reactions: Gark
Update: 8 ft bed and trailer loaded to the gills for 2 trips. Mostly Mulberry. Guessing there was 2.5 cords removed yesterday. There is still 1.25- 1.5 to go. Mostly Walnut. Don't know if the friend will need/want it, so it may come to my place after all. I will know today.

It does pay to finish up a project before you start another one.
You can overwhelm yourself with to many "on going" projects & then none get totally done.
Good move getting the wood taken care of, in the future you are still "the wood guy" & will get more calls in the future.
Although there's a little feeling in you that says, "maybe I should've taken the wood", you did good :)

Now get caught up so you don't have to pass on futures "close/free" scores, ;)

It does pay to finish up a project before you start another one.
You can overwhelm yourself with to many "on going" projects & then none get totally done.
Good move getting the wood taken care of, in the future you are still "the wood guy" & will get more calls in the future.
Although there's a little feeling in you that says, "maybe I should've taken the wood", you did good :)

Now get caught up so you don't have to pass on futures "close/free" scores, ;)

bogydave - "It does pay to finish up a project before you start another one.
You can overwhelm yourself with to many "on going" projects & then none get totally done."

Wow you described me to a T. I have way to many progects to finish, but I vowed to not start any new ones untill I finish the others. Wood still comes first though ::-).

Wood fairy showed up yesterday. Maybe that wood karma some mentioned. Tree guy I know stopped in to tell me he was dropping a big Black Oak just up the road. Wanted to know if I wanted it. Can't refuse delivered Oak no matter how much wood I have. Will post pics when it is dropped.

If I have wood more than 4 hrs I consult the DR. ;)
I could start now and still have wood in four days. _g
Gonna get it all or at least most stacked before proceeding...

Reactions: smokinj
If I have wood more than 4 hrs I consult the DR. ;)
If I have wood that last more than 4 hours, I am not the one that needs to see a doctor.

If I have wood that last more than 4 hours, I am not the one that needs to see a doctor.

Hate to disagree! ;)

Reactions: smokinj
Hell, I am taking out an advertisement.;lol

Way ahead of you buddy . . . I posted the following advertisement in a few restroom stalls around town.

For a good (and long) time call Jags.

Way ahead of you buddy . . . I posted the following advertisement in a few restroom stalls around town.

For a good (and long) time call Jags.
I thought after the last time, you had learned your lessons about going into the women's bathrooms.

I thought after the last time, you had learned your lessons about going into the women's bathrooms.

I never said I was in the women's bathrooms. . . .

Too much wood, is like too much sex... You wish you left that last peice of ash alone.;)

Too much wood, is like too much sex... You wish you left that last peice of ash alone.;)

You think you never have enough . . . while your partner thinks you have way too much? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.