Inferno followup #1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty

Minister of Fire
Told you guys I'd post when I burned some..

Have burned 4 times in the last week just to take the chill off the house at night and in the am....new pellets burn pretty decent. I wouldn't say screaming yet but pretty hot and good sized flame. Looks good so far. Fines seem to be down alot in the first bag I opened which was off the bottom of the delivery pallet.

I am not however impressed with the first bag I opened with the quality/size of the pellets. Alot of 1/4" long pellets in there. Some up to about 1.25-1.4" long also. Majority of this first bag though was small pellets... but they still burn ok.

More after a bunch out of the pallet so I can see more of what they're doing.

I bought Hamers for the first time this year, and I was thinking they are pretty small too. Most are only around 1/8 to 1/4 long in the first two bags I opened, but they do burn nice. Maybe they do this to prevent auger jams in all models of stoves.

I burnt Hamors last year they were also small, ran very nice thru the stove, problem is they burn so hot that i got allot of klincker formation in the burn pot, but man did they trow some heat!!

3rd bag opened. Large Golf ball sized lumps of Pellets which look like they got damp or wet. Don't know where this bag was on the pallet but we sure kept them dry and got them inside quick when they came. Not just a few lumps either, they ranged from 2 sticky pellets glued together to something about the size of the tangerine.

Just passing along what I find as I go. Pellets have been burning very nice so far however. First stove cleaning coming up this weekend I think. Ash seems down quite a bit so far.

My stove loves small pellets, more they drop the merrier, long pellets cause low flames and sometimes you'll hear the auger move and nothing drops, longer pellets are probably great in push style stoves like Harmon.

Ok here's a crappy camera fone pic. You can't see the flame in the camera but you get the idea...This is stove setting 3 St Croix insert on the new Inferno pellets from this year. Stove has been running almost 48 hours with one off period last night because the house was getting too warm. Glass is clean...minor soot. We've gone through almost 3 bags more now. Heat has been excellent and they seem to be burning good. Definitely better than last year. These match the original Warm Fronts we burned when we first got the stove. There is a bit of clinker in the pot I looked a bit ago, didn't clean it out. Stove looks like it could run another 24 hours without cleaning.....instead of the once a day last year we had. Fines are definitely down in the bags. BIG difference. Haven't seen anymore of those clumps of previously wet pellets.

I don't want people to think I'm the inferno posterboy now. I am just reporting as I see it. More when we get through another dozen bags.

yea it'd help if I attached the picture.

Attachments

• 1018001539.jpg
    1018001539.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 230
Status
Not open for further replies.