Insert advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awfireman

Oct 19, 2007
Plymouth,Ma
Hi All,

Looking for some advice on a woodstove insert: My old CDW 224 doesnt fit in my hearth so I have no choice but to buy another stove. Im bummed as I loved the 84' 224ccl. I decided to go with an insert because my wife likes the look.

Anyway, the home I am trying to heat is in New England, its a 24x32 cape style with approx. 1350 sq ft. I have looked at the Jotul 450c insert and this looks really nice but wanted to get some "expert advice" on other options and opinions before I shell out $2400.

Maybe you could tell me the benifits and dis-advantages of inserts vs. free standing stoves. As well as any other inserts besides Jotul that might be good (and cheaper).

Thanks for you help!

Fireman

There are several threads on this. Look up freestanding vs insert. Both designs have merit, but bottom line seems to be: freestanding, more heat, can run without blower in a power outage. Inserts have a more built in look and often = happier wives.

Very similar house size to mine and I'm on LOng Island and love my Pacific Energy Pacific insert. Although not a pretty at the Jotul, its a great heater. The price of the Jutol scared me away and I'm glad with my choice. Dont ask how much I paid cause its a Looooooong story as to how I came about it but you can look up past threads of mine if your curious. Others here have the D1 insert so they can chime in on its cost.

Thanks...spent the last 2 hours reading over a few other "threads" after I searched the site.

One question: Should I buy and insert with the heating capacity more than my square footage?for example my house is 1350 sq ft., should I choose a stove that heats 1700-2000 sq. ft? Didnt know if the manufactor understates the heating capacity.

Thanks,

Fireman

awfireman said:
Thanks...spent the last 2 hours reading over a few other "threads" after I searched the site.

One question: Should I buy and insert with the heating capacity more than my square footage?for example my house is 1350 sq ft., should I choose a stove that heats 1700-2000 sq. ft? Didnt know if the manufactor understates the heating capacity.

Thanks,

Fireman

Simple answer. Yes. These ratings don't account for the long cold snaps that a sub zero readings. You will not regret a bigger stove when you need it.

A bit more complex answer is that it depends. Are you intending to heat the house or just an area with the stove/insert? Do you intend for the stove to be burning 24/7 or just at night and on weekends. If 24/7, and the house has an open floor plan, then a bigger firebox will help extend the burn times. In this case it's better to go by the firebox size than the mfg. heating claims. If the stove is more for evenings and weekends, then staying toward the high side of the mfg ratings is fine.

Before you decide to upsize the stove, consider whether you are a planning to be a 24/7 100% wood heat burner. If Yes, then I would agree with the upsizing. If No, then a smaller insert might be just fine for you, especially if it avoids your having to make major changes to your hearth to accommodate the bigger insert.

In any case, make sure you get the blower with the insert....

I will be heating 24/7 as I have an unlimted amount of red,white and black oak at my disposal. So I guess I will go with the bigger insert if my hearth will allow. I have a very open floor plan on the first floor and 2 BR and full bath upstairs.

Could someone tell me a few differant repatable manufactuers of inserts besides Jotul?

Thanks again for you help.

Fireman.

Well after extensive research from this site I narrowed it down to a few:

Jotul 450
Hampton HI 300
Regency I 2400
Pacific Energy Pacific

Kind of leaning towards the Jotul or the Hampton but would like to hear a few more opinions.

-Fireman

All excellent choices. The Jotul and the Hampton are the beauty queens. The Regency is the same as the Hampton without the window dressing. The PE is a great insert with long burn times and simple, stout construction.

The PE is awesome.

I heated this 2000 SF sprawl of a house to 62 at the far reaches when it was -15 with the windchill. The areas nearer were 70-75. It's a beast.

The puppy loves it, too

10_06_12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.