Insert + Blower = Less Draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RidgeHiker

Sep 25, 2008
Northern California
Recently I am getting more smoke into the room unless I am careful in opening the door of my Lopi Revere insert. I think this is since I put the blower in.

I have not checked the flue cap yet but since there is no spark arrester I do not think anything is clogged.

My suspicion is that the blower is doing such a great job of capturing the heat from the back of the stove and blowing it into the room that the inside of the chimney is cooler causing a reduced draft.

The flue is a 6" stainless steel flex pipe connected to an insulated stainless steel pipe once it exits the chimney.

I doubt that there could be substantial enough creosote buildup since I last cleaned the flue.

I have not experimented with leaving the blower off yet. I may, but I am pretty attached to using it.

Any thoughts???

Yes, this is possible. Try lowering the speed of the blower or turning it off a few minutes before you open the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.