Insert into raized zero clearance fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akpch

Nov 16, 2010
NE NJ
First post (giggles)

Been googling for days now.

I have prefabricated fireplace of decent size that I can fit number of models into - Colonial CR004, Avalon Rainier, Osburn 1800 and even Osburn 2200 (almost). Figured most of the stuff right now. It will be 6 inch liner with insulation as it is outside wall.

The problem is that fireplace is raised above the floor about 7 inch so there will be no support for front few inches of the insert. Avalon offers front telescopic legs but I still like Osburn 2200 more for looks and size. I am sure it will be able to sit on it's own without additional support. Would be a good option as minimum changes are required to otherwise nice black marble surrounding. Question is if anyone done anything like that? What are the other options besides raising hearth? Any pictures?

You can have somebody weld you up a steel plate riser, that's deep enough (2 -3 ") for
your insert's surround to sit upon, but will not look like an entirely raised hearth.
We do it all the time for those instances where the floor of the firebox is raised.
I've seen them as low as 1 - 2" as high as 7 - 8". If I can find a pic of one of these installs,
I'll post it here...

DAKSY said:
You can have somebody weld you up a steel plate riser, that's deep enough (2 -3 ") for
your insert's surround to sit upon, but will not look like an entirely raised hearth.
We do it all the time for those instances where the floor of the firebox is raised.
I've seen them as low as 1 - 2" as high as 7 - 8". If I can find a pic of one of these installs,
I'll post it here...

Bob also if you know where they made them would help me. I have the legs right now but thought about bricking under it to. I like the thought of a black steel plate.
thanks
md

Thank you Bob, this makes it straight and clear.

Also comes in line with the other suggestion I could not make sense of. I visited fulfillment center of homeclick-dot-com which popped up on Osburn site as closest dealer. Some tech guy told me 'You would need to have it fabricated' and ran to pick up the phone. Did not really understand util now.

Status
Not open for further replies.