inspecting outdoor SS chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heem

Dec 13, 2008
Connecticut
This is our first year burning, and I have a brand new stainless steel chimney that runs outside the house. double wall pipe.

At the bottom, is a tee connector, as I'm sure is obvious to all of you, and it has what looks like a piece at that bottom that you can remove, possibly for cleaning purposes?

Would this be a good way for me to inspect how much creosote our "burning-learning" habits has caused?

I couldnt easily figure how to open it, but I didnt want to pull too hard without knowing if it was indeed designed to be removed.

Thanks

They twist lock, so turn it counter-clockwise and pull down.

Before you try torquing the cap off, make sure it's not secured with screws...
If you know the manufacturer of your Class A, let us know...
Someone here will know how it comes apart...

Heem said:
This is our first year burning, and I have a brand new stainless steel chimney that runs outside the house. double wall pipe.

At the bottom, is a tee connector, as I'm sure is obvious to all of you, and it has what looks like a piece at that bottom that you can remove, possibly for cleaning purposes?

Would this be a good way for me to inspect how much creosote our "burning-learning" habits has caused?

I couldnt easily figure how to open it, but I didnt want to pull too hard without knowing if it was indeed designed to be removed.

Thanks

I've got a similar set up . . . in answer to your questions.

Yes, the T-connector provides a great way of easily doing a quick check (and you can even give the chimney a partial cleaning from the ground -- partial since the cap may need a better cleaning depending on the style, wood condition and burning habits).

As to how it opens . . . it depends (as others have mentioned) . . . I have seen some that open with a twisting lock mechanism . . . my own personal chimney is secured with three metal screws that need to be undone and then I can just pop the base off.

Heem said:

Thanks

The plug in my tee out (Metalbestos) is held in by friction. I wondered if they ever fall out (since it doesn't take much force to remove it), so I asked a local stove dealer who told me he gets calls all the time from people complaining about no draft and it turns out that the plug fell out. I thought it was strange that no one in the design area of the company thought of this possibility. I fabricated something that would prevent this from happening.

duraplus simpson uses screws to hold the stainless bottom plate under the tee .a nice design ,I love it super easy to maintain your pipe and yes even a good partial cleaning can be done

Status
Not open for further replies.