install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianW

Jan 23, 2009
MD's Eastern Shore
Greetings All,

I am hoping to soon purchase a Woodstock Fireview, and I am in the hearth construction / install planning stage. The location where I wish to install is directly under the center / ridge of the roof in a single story room. What is the practicality of installing the stove pipe straight up through the ceiling and into the attic, and once inside the attic, 45 degree the chimeny pipe for a few feet so that I can ultimately exit straight through the roof to one side of the center ridge. Drawbacks or potential problems?

Thanks,

Brian

Welcome, yeah no 45's allowed but it would be better cleaning wise if you could use 15's or 30's. Why not move the stove out a bit to go straight up?

People face that sort of thing all the time. While it's preferable to have as straight a run as possible, kinks happen. No 45's though, you can have them in your stove pipe, but not in your chimney. It is not unusual to see the stove pipe leave the stove and go left/right/back/ as needed to get the chimney where it is wanted..

Sometimes you do what ya gotta do.

Attachments

• long pipe.jpg
    long pipe.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 197
Based on the location where we wanted our stove, here in CT, we were faced with the same issue. The installers only had to move the pipe a few inches either forward or back, depending on whether we preferred the pipe showing on the front of the house, or the back.

Wasn't a big deal, and goes up thru the attic..........

A professionally installed unit (or installed by someone who knows exactly what they're doing, anyway) will be fine in that type of senario.

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.