Install tomorrow...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGriz

Well, it's finally here. :cheese: I went and picked up my insert and liner kit today. As I type, the Osburn 2200i and 25 feet of ss flex liner are sitting in the back of the pick-up in the garage! Tomorrow I will be tackeling the install. With all of the information I have found here, along with my other research, I feel comfortable doing the job myself. In fact after reading many of the posts here and talking to the local dealers, I feel better about doing it myself. That being said, I would definitely welcome any last minute words of wisdom.

I am installing the 2200i in a masonary fireplace, which has more than enough clearance all around. It should be pretty easy to reach in and around things. Yesterday, I removed the old glass doors, screen and grate. I removed the damper and cleaned the firebox and flue. I couldn't believe the amount of debris that had collected on the smoke shelf behind the damper plate! The fireplace and chimney are in good shape.

The damper opening is just shy of 6" across (a strong 5 7/8) and 27 1/2" wide, so I should be able to get the liner through without too much trouble. I am planing to fabricate and install a blockoff plate. Should I insulate above the plate, or is the plate itself (sealed of course) enough?

I have also seen it suggested that It may be beneficial to insulate around the liner at the top of the chimney. I have read about people pushing kaowool or other high temp insulation down the chimney, around the liner, as far as they could reach. Does this help? The fireplace is in a partially exposed basement and the chimney is exterior.

I can't wait to get the install done and fire it up! :cheese:

I have taken pictures to this point and will keep documenting the install.

Any and all advice is more than welcome. Thanks for all the help to this point. :)

I'll post pix as I go (not much to look at right now).

I really like the way the stone turned out on your new install and I would like to change the brick around my fireplace. Unfortunately, that will have to wait a bit. Between the cost of the insert, liner and extending the hearth, my bank account needs a bit of time to recover. Of course, if everything works out like I hope it will, I can use the money I'm not giving the electric company to put in the stone!

Status
Not open for further replies.