Installation Help: Chase OSB Rotted & Wet!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazerbeam

Oct 31, 2006
Central Illinois
I'm in the middle of installing the chimney and found the OSB is rotting and wet on one side near the flashing. Although I didn't do it, I can easilty stick my finger through it. THe wet portion is the darker areas of the OSB.

If it's not one thing, it's another....

How should I procede or repair it. It's a brick veneer exterior, so I can't replace it from the outside.

Thanks!!!

5120935206_24730c741e.jpg

start by finding the source of the water. You MUST stop the water before going anywhere near the repair

you may have to rip out the exterior if the damage is really rotted. you can really fix that from the inside

Locate the leak and repair it. Let it dry out and see how big an area it may be. Do you know how the veneer is applied to the osb? If the veneer is solid and intact and the area is minimal, I would probably leave it. If there is a potential to loose the veneer and have more issues repair, but cross that bridge when you get to it. Leaks happen, not the end of the world. I'd spray some moldex on there and oil prime it when it dries out to cut down on mold issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.