Installation help with my Harman P43... vent and oak location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rastallama

Oct 10, 2012
Boston...ish...
Hello... my first post... hopefully im in the right spot and not trampling on your rules... Im trying to install my Harman P43... its been staring at me for about 6 months...as far as location goes, i want to use an oak and vent it to an outside wall... Can I vent and oak near my electric meter??? The manual lists specs for all sorts of distances regarding windows, doors and soffits, but i dont see anything regarding "high-ish voltage" electric meter... Thank you for your time... you all have been a HUGE help since Ive found ya...

p.s.
while ive got ya...

Any pros/cons to Harmans integrated outside air kit/wall passthrough vs. two holes in the wall for oak and venting?

Thanks again...

I like to minimize the number of holes through the house envelope whenever possible also. I haven't heard anything bad about Harman's pass through kit. Have you thought about Selkirk dt? Few people have it and like that it preheats the outside air and looks more like a woodstove pipe.

Nothing like running a few sparks by a possible gas source. Sounds like a good ? for your dealer. Your gas supplier may have the answer or the local fire marshall. I can't remember that data from when I was Asst. fire marshall.

Make certain you don't run into any electrical wiring other than that there is nothing special about the electric meter.

Reactions: Rastallama
Nothing like running a few sparks by a possible gas source. Sounds like a good ? for your dealer. Your gas supplier may have the answer or the local fire marshall. I can't remember that data from when I was Asst. fire marshall.
Gas supplier?

I like to minimize the number of holes through the house envelope whenever possible also. I haven't heard anything bad about Harman's pass through kit. Have you thought about Selkirk dt? Few people have it and like that it preheats the outside air and looks more like a woodstove pipe.
As far as Selkirk goes, i have been looking into different PL pipe and thats one of em... that kind of technology seems to be the "new" style of vent pipe and outside air... I think... Im rather new to this... Im starting to wonder if i shouldve had a pro install this stove... but im a nerd and want to learn to do it all... big plans... we shall see... Im most interested in the venting distance from my electric meter... any ideas on that one? Not finding any info in the manual, and the Harman folk declined to comment preferring to have me visit my local Harman dealer... which i plan on doing when I get a sec, but these forums are so helpful!!!!

@smokey the bear...
Make certain you don't run into any electrical wiring other than that there is nothing special about the electric meter.
Indeed!!!! That I should be ok with, it was just the meter and hot venting gases I was concerned about... Sooooo... How bout that IPA youve got conditioning? Love to brew up something nice someday... someday!!!!!!!

Need to clean my glasses, but utility should be able to anwer ? without making a big deal

No gas... No fuel there besides my wood shingles!!! just an electric line from the street and the meter... Im trying to save on oil, and that comes in far, far away from the stove venting spot...

As far as hot gases go, what comes out of the pipe shouldn't be all that hot. Barely warms my hands when I'm shoveling snow.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.