Installation in a 12x16 building? help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peckerwood

Jan 26, 2008
Heart of the Blue Ridge
I am tired of freezing in my Man Cave and want to
install a wood stove. I found a Century Hearth at Lowes
on clearance(it is the smallest model 1,000sq. ft.).
Can I install ok in this? I know I need wall protection.
There is NO insulation.
It is on hold and need to pick up in morning, if
you folks think it is feasible.
If so, do I go straight up or out wall and up?
From what I have read, I'm not sure about getting proper height
on chimney for draft. Building is only 7 ft tall standard Prefab type unit.
Also, how do you do chimney going straight up, when you do
not need the attic section of pipe section.
I would greatly appreciate any input.
Thanks!!!

they make a support thimble.. or a wall mounted support that you place a Tee on..come out of the stove into the SIDE of the tee.. That way most of the pipe closest to the wall is type A. Unless the stove is further from the wall.. Then they make a cathedral ceiling support.

Go straight up. THe tee is the most expensive stinkin part of a class A installation. I have a stove hook up in my 12x16 shed, and I went straight up and out the barn roof. Two pieces of class A and a ceiling support box, plus the cap, and flashing. That's it. Otherwise you'll need a tee, tee support and MORE class A, which is not cheap. Single wall stovepipe is. Use as much of it as you can.

I also have a mancave, but mine is smaller (12x12). I thought long and hard about putting in a woodstove since it's surrounded by an acre of wood (lots of dead, standing trees that need cleaned up), but I decided to use a kerosene heater instead. That has worked out very well: I get the heat I need right when I want it, and I truck the wood back to my house where I burn it in my Jotul Nordic. Now, if I lived in that small cabin full-time, I definitely would put in a woodstove. But for the 20 or so nights a year that I'm there, the kerosene heater makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.