Installed New Bar/Chain: Wow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
I am now prepared to go on the next moon mission. For the first time, I installed a new bar and chain. It was only a little frustrating, especially learning that, yes, you really do need to keep the bar lifted as you adjust the chain tension.

My only uncertainty is if I got the inner and outer bar plates in the correct spots. In my Jonsered's manual, the illustration appears to show the smaller plate on the outside, which is where I put it. But the lower part of the inner plate has a more distinct curve inward toward the chain. Is this meant to act as a chain catcher and I got the plate positions mixed up?

Thanks.

I have not ever seen one but if the chain is tight and you and turn the chain by hand with the brake off everthing should be correct. Then check to make sure the chain is still tight.

Then crank'er up and spin the chain a couple of hundred times, shut it down and check again. If its still tight, you are good to go. Check your chain tension often on a new chain.

Did you replace the rim sprocket or spur drive on the clutch too? I have heard it can make the chain wear out faster if it is badly worn.

Billy

I was going to but I examined the sprocket and it did not look excessively worn. Next new chain I'll replace it.

Cowboy Billy said:
Did you replace the rim sprocket or spur drive on the clutch too? I have heard it can make the chain wear out faster if it is badly worn.

Billy

Well, previously described new bar and chain got totally pinched in a downed tree that had pressure on both ends. I tried like crazy to free it with wedges, but ultimately I had to remove the bar and leave the chain stuck. I'll put on my other bar and chain and try to free it up.

get some small 6 inch wedges. anytime there is any suspect of the kerf closing as you are bucking, set the wedes at 10 and 2 oclock positions (assuming you are cuting horizontally down). Setting with your hand is enough to hold the kerf open. Once it closes the tree may also have shifted slightly and it takes huge forces to open it up again. wedges are your friend in many situations.

Minor suggestion - tie a colorful rag or equivalent to the loop of chain before cutting it loose - makes it a lot easier to find, otherwise it's amazing how fast it can get buried in debris, and blend in with everything....

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.