Installing new garage doors, Tips?...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EJL923

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Western Mass
My first big project this year is replacing the two doors on my garage, 9x7. The current doors are old, no saving them. I do all my own reno's on my house. The only thing i prob wont do is my roof, little steep.

I am looking for tips on buying ans installing garage doors. Brands to buy, styles to buy, what not to buy.

Also looking for tips on installing. Doesnt seem overly difficult, just time consuming it seems.

Thanks
Eric

Buy the best doors you can afford, you will not regret it. The last door I installed was on my new shop, garage. Make sure you buy good angle iron to hang the tracks from the ceiling rafters. Some manufacturers have doors in the color you may want. It is not that hard of a job. Take your time, read the instructions, save yourself a lot of money :).

9x7 will be cake to do by yourself. I did one last year for the shed I built. Never put a door up in my life and I had it all done in an afternoon.

I used a Wayne Dalton 9000 series, around 2" thick, I forget the R rating. Was about $400.

Insulated doors make a big difference in the winter. And I second not buying cheapo doors - buy the best you can afford, it will pay in the long run.

I did once install an opener on on door that wasn't reinforced for the purpose and it bent it a little.

If you buy the style that uses the type of spring that mounts to the wall above the door, USE EXTREME CAUTION when you tension it. One wrong move and you run the risk of a broken arm or a bar to the face. I would recommend installing the door yourself than have a pro come in to do the final "Adjustments".

No worse than anything else that is under tension, car struts, tranmission springs, etc. Just be careful, save the beer till after and it'll workout just fine. I would not sugest to someone that has trouble using a screwdriver to mess with it of course, but the average home handyman probably knows just as much on door installs then many of the "pros".

If you buy the style that uses the type of spring that mounts to the wall above the door, USE EXTREME CAUTION when you tension it. One wrong move and you run the risk of a broken arm or a bar to the face. I would recommend installing the door yourself than have a pro come in to do the final "Adjustments".

as stated above be careful with winding the springs
slow and steady, keep others away

The long springs that go along the sides of the rails are the safest, IMO. When the door is up, there is little to no tension on the springs. They are easy to install and adjust. It is important to install the cable that goes through the springs to contain them should they break. It's code around here. Many years ago, I had a spring break, and it left a significant impression on the door frame. The center cable would have prevented that.

I can't recommend a brand, I had mine installed by a dealer.

Do they still make that style of door anymore? All the the ones I have seen in the last ~10 years have the spring on the rod over the top of the door frame.

Do they still make that style of door anymore? All the the ones I have seen in the last ~10 years have the spring on the rod over the top of the door frame.

Yup, got mine about two years ago.

The long springs that go along the sides of the rails are the safest, IMO. When the door is up, there is little to no tension on the springs. They are easy to install and adjust. It is important to install the cable that goes through the springs to contain them should they break. It's code around here. Many years ago, I had a spring break, and it left a significant impression on the door frame. The center cable would have prevented that.

I can't recommend a brand, I had mine installed by a dealer.

The torsion springs are really no different. When the door is up there is little tension on them and there is a rod running down the center that keeps it contained
if it does break. I had one break on our 16x8 door one night about 2 in the morning. Sounded like somebody ran their car into the house!
Gary

I've had two break over the years. They seem to go when no one is around (good!), but they do make a racket!
Back when Chrysler products had torsion bars, they would snap occasionally. Every one I heard about snapped when the car was parked for a while, never when it was in motion. I'd think springs and bars would break when under motion, but apparently not.

Both style springs are still used. I personally feel the long side style are safer & easier to install, but they do take up more room than the overhead style. All I am saying is to use caution if you install that style spring.

I usually do all my own work, too, until I found out that it was only a couple hundred bucks to have my two doors installed--if I recall correctly, it was $1200 installed for lifetime warranty doors (vinyl clad aluminum with foam insulation). That covered everything, including lifetime warranty for parts/labor.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.