Installing pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wincolt

Jan 24, 2011
Kansas
Hello I am new to this form and needing help I got this pellet stove and want to install it in the corner of my house but there are one window on one side and a another window on the other side but theses windows are hardly use or open they stay shut. And their double glass storm windows. Can I be able to install my stove in this corner I have a picture of the corner too thanks for any help you can give. There is a window behind the curtain and the ceiling is 7' thanks

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 287
Are there any windows above those two windows?

5. If the flue exit is on back of the stove, and a horizontal through-the-wall installation is desired: (Figure 6).
A. Place the appliance according to manufacturer’s instructions.
B. Connect the Pipe Adapter to back of stove and attach sufficient pipe to penetrate Wall Thimble and extend at least 6" beyond the exterior wall. You may install the optional House Shield as shown in Figure 6. The House Shield is used to protect the exterior wall from vent discharge. Attach a Horizontal Cap. The vent Cap should be at least 6" from the wall.
C. Follow the below listed NFPA rule for distance of exit terminal from windows and openings:
NFPA 211 6-3.5 Termination: 6-3.5 Mechanical draft systems need not comply with 6-3.1 and 6-3.3 provided they comply with the following:
(a) The exit terminal of a mechanical draft system, other than a direct vent appliance (sealed combustion system appliance), shall be located in accordance with the following:
(1) Not less than 3 ft. (.91m) above any forced air inlet located within 10 ft. (3m).
(2) Not less than 4 ft.(1.2m) below, 4 ft.(1.2m) horizontally from or 1 ft. (304mm) above any door, window or gravity air inlet into any building, and;
(3) Not less than 2 ft. (.61m) from an adjacent building and not less than 7 ft. (2.1m) above grade when located adjacent to public walkways.

I have mine installed next to a window. I exit the house 1 foot from the window. I 90 up 4 feet and terminate. No window above and am code compliant.

If the windows don't open your clearance to the windows is as close as you want it to be.

If your windows open and you have closed combustion the clearance can be reduced to 18 inches.

A better source of the info you need is the installation manual for the stove and better yet, the regulating body that will be inspecting your work.

I was firmly instructed by Department of Labor and Industries that the manufacturers installation instructions would be the only thing the inspector would be referring to when checking for compliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.