Insulating Below-Deck Dry Radiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pwschiller

Jan 30, 2011
Freedom, NH
I'm wondering what the best methods are for insulating between or underneath the floor joists when you have radiant tubing below the subfloor to heat the floor above?

Is it important to have a reflective layer (such as on foil faced foam sheathing) and would that be even more important when using Onix staple up vs. PEX with reflector plates?

If the heated floor is above an unheated crawlspace, it seems like either fiberglass or rock wool batts between the joists (with an air gap between it and the radiant tubing) would provide the best insulating value from the cold crawlspace. What would you put below the joists and insulation? Foil faced foam sheathing? 7/6" OSB? Typar? Just some wire to hold the rock wool in?

I'm not really looking for Onix vs. PEX w/ reflector plate advice, although if people want to debate that, that's fine. In my case, the guy who installed my oil boiler eight years ago talked me into using Onix for the 1st and 2nd floors of the house. Because my house is very well insulated, the Onix with 110 F water and 1" of foil faced foam below has been getting the job done. Last year when I removed a post in basement and put in a laminated beam, I had to remove three 200' loops of Onix which I haven't put back up yet. I'm thinking about using the Onix in my workshop, which will be over an unheated crawlspace. The floor will just be a single layer of 3/4" OSB which will be painted on top. The 1st floor of the house would then get PEX with reflector plates. I'm thinking that the Onix would be a heck of a lot easier to staple up in the workshop crawlspace than dealing with PEX. The workshop will be fairly well insulated, but not quite as well as the house. My primary heat source for both buildings will be the wood boiler and tanks in the shop, so I would like to have as little heat as possible flowing underground when heating the house. Thoughts?

The reflective qualities of aluminum foil-faced anything are diminished when it is covered with dust. If there is enough dust to make it no longer shiny then the heat reflection is about negligible. I've never seen a horizontal surface that didn't get dusty after a few years, even in an enclosed space.

Go for the fiberglass or foam and get some real insulation that will work for you over the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.