Insulating my tank today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Oct 15, 2009
WI
I started the final insulation of my tank area today. I pick up some foam board from a nearby manufacturer. It is the same as the foil faced foam but it has a fiberglass paper on it for fire protection. It is R6 per inch. They sell seconds and I got some 4X8 sheets that are 1.2" thick for $3.84 a sheet. I also got a 4'X4' cube of random pieces for free.(see pics)

I put down 1" pink foam for moisture resistance on the concrete and now I am layering in the other stuff. First layer is 2" thick pieces. I think I will put in 6" so I can still wrap the tank with fiberglass.

I would have enough to layer in 12" right to the bottom of the tank and just wrap fiberglass around tank top to the foam if that would be better?

The top of the tank will have 2 layers of R19 fiberglass, One more layer of R19 between Cover framing, 1.2 inches of foam, and 1/2 OSB. Should be close to R65.

Side walls will be 2 layers of R19 on tank, 2 inches of foam, and R19 in the wall cavity (R69 to outside)

Tank to concrete could be R60-70 depending on how much foam I layer in.

Also all my Copper pipe has 1-1/2" fiberglass pipe insulation. (see pics)

gg

Attachments

• Tankfoam.jpg
    Tankfoam.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 409
  • Tankfoam2.jpg
    Tankfoam2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 364
  • Tankinsul.jpg
    Tankinsul.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 358
  • Tank insul2.jpg
    Tank insul2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 355
Free insulation is good insulation. My insulation came from the roof of the local post office, when they were redoing it this summer

Very nice GG. That should keep that tank warm. Nice looking job!

Do you have a pool or hot tub you can heat with that tank of hot water in the spring, summer, and fall? :) It is not the same, but when I remodeled a small bathroom and small bedroom into one large bath/laundry room for the wife I installed a Jacuzzi jet tub for her. Her, and the kids, love relaxing in that thing. It is nice to heat all that water with wood every time her or the kids take their baths.

Thank, Yes my family will be enjoying a warm pool again next summer.

I have been trying to get this tank boxed in, It really sheds the btus now with uncovered ends in a metal building. Not sure how I would do it next time, Access from all four sides would help.

gg

What a pain! I spent most of the day cutting random pieces and getting them under the tank with limited space.

Under tank I have 1" of pink and 7" of the Polyisocyranate commerical roofing foam board. I also have R19 fiberglass between tank and foam.

gg

Don't remember whether or not you are also supplying DHW, but if not, when you shut system down in spring the tank still will be hot and ready to go in fall. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.