Insulating value of ceramic fiber blanket material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
While poking around this morning, I came upon the website of one of the biggies in the high-temperature insulation world, Thermal Ceramics. Looking at the specs of their blanket materials, which is frequently used in stoves and to insulate liners, they have conductivity (K) vs temperature for various densities:
http://www.thermalceramics.com/upload/pdf/514-205.pdf

For the highest density material they post specs for (8 lbs/cu. ft), the R factor (1/K) at 500F degress is 2.27. (For context, that's about the same R-factor as a double-pane window.) It reduces quickly as temps rise, at 1000F it is 1.15 .

So when we see this material being used, it is not providing a huge insulating value, but more of a subtle tweak of temperatures.

This high-temp stuff is fascinating!

Oh, BTW, one can buy a 1/4" x 24" x 25' roll of this stuff for about $35 retail...

You have to make sure that the liner manufacturer doesn't specify that their insulation has to be used in order to be a complete "listed" system. Homesaver liners require thier own insulation and they sell it for a whole lot more than that!

Shane said:
You have to make sure that the liner manufacturer doesn't specify that their insulation has to be used in order to be a complete "listed" system.
I'll let you do that. I find it much more interesting just to learn about the materials. I trust I'm not alone in that...

precaud said:
Shane said:
You have to make sure that the liner manufacturer doesn't specify that their insulation has to be used in order to be a complete "listed" system.
I'll let you do that. I find it much more interesting just to learn about the materials. I trust I'm not alone in that...

I did a lot of research into that stuff for my chimney extension venture....

You can buy it from Thermal Cermaics or from McMaster-Carr for decent prices.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Don't get hooked on that MC catalog - you'll be buying all kinds of things that you don't need

Wow - what a great catalog! One could spend hours...

So... how thick does that stuff need to get to provide decent R-value, say R8 at 500F?

Lots of my stove raw materials have come from Mc-Master, they are truly a great resource.

Like I said earlier though, the ceramic blanket insulation for my stove came from a blacksmith supply company since they were willing to sell it in such small quantities.

At work we use a 1" thick ceramic fiber blanket that is really amazing. It can be glowing red hot on one side and warm enough to place your bare hand on the other. Works great for keeping the heating needs down on pouring ladles in the foundry. I'll try to get some info from the supplier and post it here. I had considered putting it on top of my insert to reduce heat loss but did not do it until I learn a bit more about how it might affect the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.