Interest in PC based pellet stove control and monitoring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bd911

Nov 10, 2010
Lowell, MA
Hello,
Any members interested in controlling their pellet stove via a laptop PC, adjusting heat output via the internet, or interest in moisture/ density specific burn profiles? Graphically enhanced PC screens that gives you the "Ins and Outs" of what your pellet stove is doing and what it is capable of? Reports that include last burn, last 12 hours, last 24 hours, monthly roll-ups, yearly cost.... all from your overheating laptop? If you have interest in PC controlled pellet stoves PLEEEEASSSE post your interest here.

Nope. It took me 5 years to figure out how to program phone numbers in a cell phone, ain't no way I'd be able to figure out something like that.

Definitely an interesting an idea - how are you thinking of doing it? I can see an arduino in my stoves future

Interested=Yes. But need more details. Also approx cost involved(most likely cause to scare everyone off!).

Would be very interested - but not sure how you will get it to work with all the different stoves circuits...

If it has thermostat capabilities as well, and it's under $100, i'd consider it. Otherwise, its' pure novelty and in this economy... good luck

Chris J said:
I'm interested but I'd want to connect to it via ethernet not from a laptop.

This is tech jargon but laptops use ethernet to transport their data too. Ethernet is not just the physical media, the cable in this case. Anyway, I'd be interested for sure. Heck if I had the time I'd take one of our Zigbee boards from work that we no longer use and have its I/O attach to the stove's PC board just like the thermostat and have those signals go to just about anywhere (local network location or PC/laptop) to give me a web interface. This could be accessed anywhere you have internet access including smart phones. I only know this stuff because its what puts food on the table and pellets in the stove. This could be pricey and labor intensive but this idea is certainly possible and some kind of board design could be created to accommodate just about any stove, again if time and $$ are not a factor.

wazilian said:
Chris J said:
I'm interested but I'd want to connect to it via ethernet not from a laptop.

This is tech jargon but laptops use ethernet to transport their data too. Ethernet is not just the physical media, the cable in this case. Anyway, I'd be interested for sure. Heck if I had the time I'd take one of our Zigbee boards from work that we no longer use and have its I/O attach to the stove's PC board just like the thermostat and have those signals go to just about anywhere (local network location or PC/laptop) to give me a web interface. This could be accessed anywhere you have internet access including smart phones. I only know this stuff because its what puts food on the table and pellets in the stove. This could be pricey and labor intensive but this idea is certainly possible and some kind of board design could be created to accommodate just about any stove, again if time and $$ are not a factor.

wazilian, my point was just I'd rather tie the stove into my network and monitor it via my desktop machines rather than sit a laptop next to it hooked up via USB. ;)

Chris J said:
wazilian, my point was just I'd rather tie the stove into my network and monitor it via my desktop machines rather than sit a laptop next to it hooked up via USB. ;)

Sure, I get ya! And I wasn't trying to correct you, just making a point. What you've said is exactly what should be done to monitor these things especially while we're away from home.

Just so you all know, my post wasn't an attempt at marketing a product or creating a universal stove add on. I was just throwing the idea out there. I am quite familiar with automation equipment and software so I was thinking of using a PLC with a handful of discrete I/O points, and a few analog inputs from thermocouples or rtd's. The software package I could use would be intended for something else but taylored to pellet burning. Maybe Wonderware or ION Enterprise. The cost of this would be quite high but I have all these items at my disposal. If I do tackle this project I will update this thread with my progress. If anyone else has tried this let me know.

bd911 said:
Just so you all know, my post wasn't an attempt at marketing a product or creating a universal stove add on. I was just throwing the idea out there. I am quite familiar with automation equipment and software so I was thinking of using a PLC with a handful of discrete I/O points, and a few analog inputs from thermocouples or rtd's. The software package I could use would be intended for something else but taylored to pellet burning. Maybe Wonderware or ION Enterprise. The cost of this would be quite high but I have all these items at my disposal. If I do tackle this project I will update this thread with my progress. If anyone else has tried this let me know.

The possibilities would be endless. You could control everything. Feed rates, fan speeds, discharge temperature, dampers...

Might as well make it via cell phone. Thats where everything is headed anyway IMHO. I dont even own a pc or laptop anymore. I use the phone for everything and I think alot of others do also. So yes I like the idea. I think Cumberland already uses some kind of open source code for their controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.