Interesting homeowner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickwa

Dec 1, 2009
ohio
I was called out to service and clean a St Croix Greenfield last week. Home owner install in 05. Husband past away, wife wants stove checked out and cleaned. I walk in, stove is setting on a hearth in front of a old fireplace piped into a breach in the chimney. 90 out of the stove , up 4' 90 into breach. No way to get into pipe to clean , i did not think? Then I saw a wrap around the pipe so I took it off and found a metal patch, I pulled it off and found the guy took a hole saw and cut a cleaning hole in the pipe. I told the lady that the only thing I can do is replace the pipe. So I brought a tee out of the back of the stove up 4' into another tee then out. Now we can clean the vert. and the horiz. with the removal of 2 caps

Some folks seem to be able to get away with anything and others it comes right back and bites them.

Dang that's the first time I heard of anything
like that. Too bad ya didn't get pics for us.
Good on ya for making it easier to clean and
safer to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.