Interesting Pellet issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinelife

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2010
Way Up North Michigan
Having an occassional issue with my pro pellets. A few bags out of a ton and a half will burn funny. They will burn and glow but will not break down or disolve like other pellets. Its not the stove because its only been a few bags and my Somersets dont do this when I burn them. They will kinda pile up and glow but dont break down. Is it too much moisture in the pellet ?? But like I said it has only been a few bags out of a ton and a half. Next season its all Somersets for me, I'll tell you what ..

Any Ideas ?

Moisture usually hits the top or bottom bags in the stack(pallet). So if they might have been from there, Maybe? Hard to really say as moisture does funny stuff. If you get another bag try the microwave test to see if there is excess moisture. Usually moisture will give signs like crumbly pellets or pellets that look expanded from the moisture. But not always and it doesn't take much to make them burn wierd. But then again it could just be some fiber issues as well.

I saw a post that discribed how to get a moisture content from the pellets. It involved weighing some and backing in an oven a low temps to dry them out. Checking weight after drying and you could figure out how much moisture was in the pellets. I say anything over 8% may cause similar problems. 4 to 6% is abiut normal.

Thanx, I dont have any of these issues with the Somersets though.

Status
Not open for further replies.