Interesting pellet stove story

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcellwood

Nov 2, 2011
Central Maine
One of my co workers just installed a pellet stove last weekend. Yesterday the temps were in single digits so his stove, as was mine, was cranking. His neighbor saw through the window what appeared to be the living room on fire and called the fire department. Turned out it was just a large flame in the stove. I know when I drove in my driveway last night with all the lights out in my house the living room was glowing. The stove was at a point where it was at high output. Quite a light show.

Bet that pissed off the "Hose Pullers". They were warm inside their station waiting to save lives when someone calls in a false alarm. The neighbor should have took a couple more steps and saved the air time on his cellphone.

Eric

lol -- I've had the same experience, pulling into the driveway and seeing the light from the flame. I think part of it is just how new I am to the pellet stove experience ... half the time, when I'm driving home, I wonder if my house will have burned down.

At least nobody's called the FD on me yet!

The first year we had the pellet stove, my mail carrier saw flames in our house. Luckily I pulled in the driveway as he was about ready to call the Fire Dept.

Tom C.

When I first started burning pellets I had some dreams that my house was on fire! LOL.

My bedroom is right next to the living room where the stove is. So the light from the fire lights up our bedroom.

I close the curtains in the living room at night just to avoid this type of scenario. Plus, keeping the curtains closed insulates the windows and helps retain some the heat.

well atleast the neighbor was thoughtful enough to call just incase. My worst fear every morning is when I go to work at 5 am, that something is going to happen to my stoves and catch fire and trap my wife and kids upstairs. I really dont have any neighbors that would call in that situation.

Since I am the only one with a pellet stove in my park, I keep the windows covered at night. So... I am a little paranoid about some one calling the fire dept.

BradH70 said:
I close the curtains in the living room at night just to avoid this type of scenario. Plus, keeping the curtains closed insulates the windows and helps retain some the heat.

Same here. I would probably call the FD if one of my neighbors put in a pellet stove without me knowing and I saw the room glowing. Better safe than sorry I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.