Interesting series of events with new M55 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terps02

Nov 8, 2010
Southern MD
Hi,

I had an interesting (scary!) series of events happen with my new M55 insert. Before I explain, let me state that I'm new with pellet stoves. I've had this M55 for about three weeks now. So far, i like it.

I turned the stove on around noon. Heat setting #3, feed trim #1, fan trim #2, Lignetics pellets. Stove was running fine, putting out nice heat. I had to go to the store around 4PM, my wife stayed home. I get back home around 5PM and immediately notice the burn pot/fire grate is just about full of pellets. The hole/tube the pellets feed from was backed up with pellets. I immediately turned off the stove. I opened the door and used a tool to get the pellets out of the feed tube. Luckily, it wasn't backed up very far. The grate full of pellets burned very hot (blue flame). After about 15 minutes, the grate was still burning and I noticed something in the upper left corner of the stove. It looked like a few dozen tiny little embers in a cool little pattern. Pic is attached. They went away after about 10 minutes.

I let the stove cool for two hours, then did a quick vacuum. I did notice more dark black soot on the inside (compared to the other times i've cleaned).

Now it's running again and I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Any ideas? I'm guessing this isn't normal?

Attachments

• photo-8.jpg
    photo-8.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 251
The pile up is a dead give away that you have a air flow problem.

1: Damper was closed too far.
2: Combustion blower blocked or failing.
3: Air intake blocked.
4: Burn pot holes blocked by ash etc...
5: The air chamber under the burn pot blocked by ash etc ...
6: Venting full of ash.

and several other possibilities.

ETA: Looks like the little fireworks display might be small amounts of creosote burning off.

I suggest that you move your fuel type to regular fuel. Just press the off button then press the fuel type so that you have all lights flash twice and the fueltype indicator changes to red. You can then press the on button again. You don't have to wait for the unit to cool down to do this. This will make your agitator turn with each auger pulse and manage the waste fuel moving it out of the burn pot liner. Like Smokey said you probably should be moving your combustion trim up until you have an active clean flame. Probably two positions which will increase the voltage by approx 10V. Your picture looks like a stove starving for air. If you change your brand of fuel in the future you may need to make further adjustments.

Thanks for the feedback.

The picture was posted to show the weird embers in the upper left. The stove had been off for easily 20 minutes when that picture was taken (so don't judge the flame in that pic). There is still a flame present (after 20 minutes) because the grate was full of pellets.

I've been using the flame to characterize my need for more or less air. It's been a fairly rapid flame. That's why I had the combustion fan turned down. If my flame is not slow and lazy, could I still have an air flow problem?

Thanks.

terps02 said:
Thanks for the feedback.

The picture was posted to show the weird embers in the upper left. The stove had been off for easily 20 minutes when that picture was taken (so don't judge the flame in that pic). There is still a flame present (after 20 minutes) because the grate was full of pellets.

I've been using the flame to characterize my need for more or less air. It's been a fairly rapid flame. That's why I had the combustion fan turned down. If my flame is not slow and lazy, could I still have an air flow problem?

Thanks.

With a rapid flame, Don't drop the air. Drop the fuel trim = less fuel less flame. Should cure this. Was this stove setup with a magnihelic gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.