Interesting tidbit in BK sirocco manual

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
After seeing BKVP's thread this morning about the new 30 model sirocco (coinkeedink?), I got the 20 manual and did a bit of reading.
Page 21 in "operating instructions" says this re: wood.
FUEL
"Blaze King recommends using dry seasoned wood, split and stacked and protected from rain for at least 24 months with a moisture content of 13% or lower.
It takes a great deal of energy to evaporate the moisture contained in green wood and that energy will not be heating your house. Green or wet wood will greatly increase creosote & combustor problems."

That seems like writer overkill and a generalization for a stove built in pine country. Doug fir, lodgepole pine, alder are fine to burn after CSS for a year. You may be able to get 13% out in dry Walla Walla, but not on the west side of the Cascades.

Someone has posted that before. Yeah, not going to happen for the vast majority of wood burners.

Although, the 13% moisture is probably wet basis. Moisture meters read dry basis. So, if you have a reading of 15%, you'd actually have 13% moisture on a wet basis. Still, that's gotta be real tough to get to.

"Someone has posted that before." Guess I missed it.:(
I agree, real tough to get to. I've been close.....if my moisture meter is correct.>> Re-split Oak.!!!
My takeaway is that you should be burning dry wood in your stove. Oh, and listen to Dennis.;lol The 2nd and 3rd sentences are important.

Maybe I should go re-split a piece of pine from last fall to check MC. I bet it's well under 20%.

Status
Not open for further replies.