interisting ........Pacific Energy.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roospike

Nov 19, 2005
Eastern Nebraska
"Pacific Energy has been manufacturing high efficiency, high quality wood and gas fired appliances here in Canada for over 28 years. All Pacific Energy fireplace products are of the highest quality, and incorporate the latest technology and features including rich porcelain enamel finishes. All of this, is backed up with the best Lifetime Warranty in the business.
Pacific Energy's exclusive “knife edge” door seal and quality construction. A “floating firebox” design eliminates metal fatigue from expansion and contraction. Pacific Energy was the first to introduce glass-front wood stoves and the air-wash system to keep glass clean. Pacific Energy developed the patented Extended Burn Technology and all models come with a Lifetime Warranty. This stove will be as beautiful as it is functional with a choice of optional, colorful porcelain finishes with gold or nickel accent trims. It's easy to operate with a single air control lever and an air wash system for the glass that really works." I thought this was an interistion read and brings the question up ...........How long has the glass door air wash systems been around ?

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
Hey Spike I hope PE is paying you decent commission ah?

Paterned everburn system coppied from VC?

Roospike said:
I thought this was an interistion read and brings the question up ...........How long has the glass door air wash systems been around ?
My first encounter with one that really worked was a Kent stove in 1986. Before that I saw lots of sooty, hazy glass.

Roospike said:
I thought this was an interistion read and brings the question up ...........How long has the glass door air wash systems been around ?

My 1985 Sierra has air-wash over the glass. Air is drawn in from two slots over the glass. Part goes down over the glass and joins the primary air, part goes under the smoke damn to provide a top burn of smoke across the baffle.

elkimmeg said:
Hey Spike I hope PE is paying you decent commission ah?

Paterned everburn system coppied from VC?
actually I've seen you post # of production from other stove makers so i thought i would look up P.E. , Jotul and some other brands and i came across this information about Pacific Energy. We all talk about cats , non cats but the air wash system just hasn't popped up. The older stove i had years ago had a glass door that was clean for all of 1 hour before it started going down hill quick. Always had to clean it with a razor blade. BTW Elk , I'm making less commission on P.E. then you are on "VC" ;-P

I remember seeing glass on wood stoves around the mid to late 80's. Another thing I thought I heard was New Zealand came out with the air wash/glass doors first. Maybe PE copied them? The only stove I have seen that actually keeps the glass totaly clean at all settings is Woodstock. Maybe it's the double pane glass?

The better question should be - "Who has an air-wash stove that REALLY works?" I know my Jotul requires frequent cleaning, even though the manual tells you it will "burn off with the next hot fire". For the most part, air-wash is useless unless the air control is wide open, and even then the bottom and corners brown up...

recppd said:
The better question should be - "Who has an air-wash stove that REALLY works?" I know my Jotul requires frequent cleaning, even though the manual tells you it will "burn off with the next hot fire". For the most part, air-wash is useless unless the air control is wide open, and even then the bottom and corners brown up...
Pictured is the very dirtiest my glass will get. This is from about a week or two of burning in the Fall or Spring when less wood/heat is needed. In the winter i might get a spot 2"-3" big on the bottom left that looks foggy . Pictured is dampened down about 15% air supply.

Attachments

• PIC00008.JPG
    PIC00008.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 522
So, is it a gasket problem? Is enough cooler air getting through to cause the glass to brown up? I'd love to figure it out! Even when I burn compressed logs, with much less moisture content, I still get the same results! I even changed my door gaskets out at the end of the season, and made the doors "very tight", but they still get the brown crud!!!

Any suggestions would be great! BTW, I do regularly clean with Rutland conditioning glass cleaner. Still doesn't change much...

recppd said:
So, is it a gasket problem? Is enough cooler air getting through to cause the glass to brown up? I'd love to figure it out! Even when I burn compressed logs, with much less moisture content, I still get the same results! I even changed my door gaskets out at the end of the season, and made the doors "very tight", but they still get the brown crud!!!

Any suggestions would be great! BTW, I do regularly clean with Rutland conditioning glass cleaner. Still doesn't change much...
more information ............How is it compared to the picture above? is this year around? only spring/fall? are you getting just the bottom corners browned or is the whole glass going brown. What kind of wood do you burn?

recppd said:

The little F100 amazes me in the keeping the glass clean department. Any creostote that gets on it during start up goes away when the fire gets to kicking. I guess it has to because the secondary burn shoots straight out of the back of the firebox and smacks into the glass.

I think Russo "Glass View" was one of the first clean glass stoves. This predated Ceramic Glass, which gives you an idea of how old it was - about 1978 I think....maybe a couple years before.

So since the glass could not take the heat, Russo had a giant size piece of tempered glass mounted about 3 inches out from the front of the stove. A steel window behind it (on the fire side) could be opened when you wanted to view the fire....plenty of cooling air then came in from a space on the top front of the glass. When you wanted to use it in airtight or overnight mode, you shut the steel window (it was like a hinged bi-fold, only horizontal instead of vertical).

I am burning well-seasoned oak, ash, maple, etc. I should also mention that I also changed the glass gaskets, although I don't think they really needed it. I just did it as a process of elimination. But it didn't change anything...

Like I said, if I open up the air supply I stay pretty clean. It's when I damper down below 60%, or so, that the glass starts to crud up. It's not a big deal until the full-time burning season starts - then there's little chance to clean the glass until you let the stove cool.

Webmaster said:
Hey Roos, you ain't using that Pacific lit as a subsitute for the old Playboy Magazine, are you?

:coolgrin:

I mean, you seem to have a regular relationship with that stove! Must be the color!
Well lets just say ........ that the Porcelain Enamel finish makes clean up a snap. %-P

Todd said:
The only stove I have seen that actually keeps the glass totaly clean at all settings is Woodstock. Maybe it's the double pane glass?

Amen.

recppd said:
I am burning well-seasoned oak, ash, maple, etc. I should also mention that I also changed the glass gaskets, although I don't think they really needed it. I just did it as a process of elimination. But it didn't change anything...

Like I said, if I open up the air supply I stay pretty clean. It's when I damper down below 60%, or so, that the glass starts to crud up. It's not a big deal until the full-time burning season starts - then there's little chance to clean the glass until you let the stove cool.
Sounds like your doing every thing correct and even went out of your wat to make sure there were no gasket problems. I think we'll have to see what other Jotul / Jotul Kennebec owners have to say about there own experiences.

Sandor said:
Todd said:
The only stove I have seen that actually keeps the glass totaly clean at all settings is Woodstock. Maybe it's the double pane glass?

Amen.

Agreed as well. I have never once seen soot on my window, even when burning in worst of conditions. Really didn't believe the claims until going through a season. Not sure if the ceramic with airgap is unique or if it's something else about the design, but it works perfectly - even when running lower temperature fires.

-Colin

I checked out the Woodstock design and I noticed they were all side/top loading stoves. The glass appears to be permanently sealed in place (i.e. NO AIR INFILTRATION). I'm sure the double-pane glass makes a huge difference too!

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what would happen if I installed thicker glass in my Jotul - if it was available???

Status
Not open for further replies.