Intersting CL ad NY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/for/1972222054.html

Here's a copy/paste of the ad in case it expires. What do you all think?

STOVE CORD of FIREWOOD FOR SALE - $110 (White Plains)
Date: 2010-09-24, 10:00PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

STOVE FIREWOOD CORD FOR SALE (seasoned & split mixed hardwood). Free delivery in Lower Westchester County. Great quality firewood for sale (Well-seasoned, ready to burn, average of 8" to 12" long. Mixed hardwood, oak, maple, mulberry, ash, cherry, locust. 1 STOVE cord (8" to 14" pieces x 4'H x 8'L) (approx. 150 pcs.) - $110.00 - Cash only!, $120 - Pay Pal or Visa. to convert to full cord see explanation below: Wood stacked and wrapped in plastic on the premises for $30.00 (1 to 2 stove cords); $50 (more than 2 cords). Call (914) 458-2822 or (914) 415 6855 or e-mails. -Vladimir

A 'full' cord measures 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. and is the official, standard firewood measure. But four foot pieces are never used for home heating, and dealers rarely sell four foot pieces. So firewood is not offered for sale in the form of its official unit measurement. This is why buying firewood can be confusing.

Other terms, such as face cord, stove cord or furnace cord are used to describe a stack of wood measuring 4 ft. high, 8 ft. long with a piece length shorter than 4 ft. The most common firewood piece length is 16 in., or one-third of a full cord, but other lengths are also available.

These various terms and cord measures can be confusing when you are purchasing firewood. If you want to compare prices from a number of suppliers, take a tape measure to the dealers' yards and measure the average piece length. If the dealer does not price the wood in the standard full cord measure, convert the price to this basic unit. Here are some examples to illustrate the conversion.

Forest Firewood sells what they call a 'face cord' for $100. You find that the pile is 4 feet high and 8 feet long, with an average piece length of 16 inches. Divide this length (16 in.) into the full cord length of 48 in. and multiply by the price.

48 ÷ 16 = 3 x $100 = $300.

Therefore, Forest Firewood sells firewood for $300 per cord. If possible, avoid buying firewood in units that cannot be related to the standard full cord. Station wagon loads or other units are difficult to compare and can conceal a high price per cord measure

... average of 8" to 12" long... consisting of 8” to 14” pieces... huh? So is that a 10" face cord?

Maybe $500-600 a cord is the going rate in White Plains.

If I could sell the 3 or 4 cord of 8 to 12 inch stuff I have at $110/stove cord, I would be a very happy guy. For that matter, I'd be more than happy to sell the 18 to 24 inch stuff for that price as well. Time to put a dump bed on the Ford.

I see CL ads for $300 cords often down here. I keep thinking that if I ever get far enough ahead, I might try and sell some. I would bill it as "super seasoned stove cords" or something and deliver and stack it for $125 a face cord. I bet I could get that too. Maybe raise a few hundred for the old truck restoration fund. People seem to have a lot of money to throw around down here.

Status
Not open for further replies.