Introduction and a thermostat question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChandlerR

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2009
Hampton, NH
Good evening! I've just joined this forum after trying to learn more about the fine art of burning pellets. Last Friday, I finally had my stove (A Magnum Baby Countryside) installed by the dealer. It's been a long time coming. I actually bought the stove last September. I was in the process of getting a building permit for an addition to my house and I wanted to heat the room with a pellet stove. If you remember, last summer and fall was not a good time to buy a pellet stove. With fuel oil at an all time high, everyone was buying these. I tried every stove shop within 100 miles and no one had a stove. Finally my local Home Depot called and said they got a shipment of the Magnums in. I did a quick Internet check and found few complaints so I bought it. Now that my addition is finally drywalled, I can have heat. It's been running non stop since last friday and I'm pleased with the performance. In talking with the installers, they told me two things that I would love to get someone's opinion on.
He told me not to bother with a thermostat. My feeling is I can set the temp, say, for 65 degrees, and the stove will run on my pre set setting...#3...then when the temp is reached, it will drop to #1. What's the downside to this? I'm away for 14 hours a day and don't want to waste pellets.

The installer also told me to burn softwood pellets. They sell Granules from Canada and my first burn was with them.
I'm burning hardwood now but I'm open to opinions.

This looks like a great group of nice and knowledgeable people. I'm sure I'll learn plenty!

Chandler

woodsman23 said:
If your going to be away then by all means use the thermostat. It will save lots of pellets. welcome....

Thanks! Do you guys think running the stove on low will cause any problems? I heated with wood for years and dealt with the creosote.

I burn with my stove in high/low stat mode, and it does idle in low sometimes for a while. There is slightly more clinkers and build up on the glass, but not enough to worry about. Burning on low will result in a bag lasting approx 30 hours so don't fret about the stove idling for periods of time. My opinion is the generated heat or pellets is not 'wasted' just always providing some btu's.

Good to know. Thanks!

Chandler

I use the high/low method too. I started out using the on/off method where the stove would turn off when it reached the thermostat temp but I have heard that can kill the starter as it turns on and off so much. Also, when it got colder I realized my house was much more comfortable if I ran it in high/low. If the stove shuts off it is going to cool and will need to heat up again when the thermostat calls for heat. By running your stove on high/low you are saving the starter and while your stove will be burning pellet constantly it will be somewhat offset by the fact that your stove will have to use pellets to reheat itself.

Hi Chandler, and welcome to the forum....lots of friendly, knowledgeable people here.

As for the thermostat question, since your away from home for a long time each day, IMO a stat is the way to go, and run the stove on the High-Low setting.....saves pellets and the ignitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.