Inverter/Battery backup for Harman P68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Would you really have smoke pouring out of it anywhere? Unless you didn't have a cold/outside air intake on it. I can see if you just use room air the smoke coming out of that intake. other than some leaking around the door seals where would it come from? I would be more concerned about burn back through the auger, to the point if I was home when power went out, I would open the door and scrape everything from the fire pot in to the ash pan, then cover that with ash if there is enough in the pan.

I guess I would like to have something to run the stove just for the heat, at least until I can get a kerosene heater fired up.
Well, you prompted me to give unplugging it without a UPS attached a whirl. You know what? No leakage; the flames flowed toward the flue / chimney, and it went out in—at a guess—+/-40 min (I didn't time it). I opened the door to check, and indeed it was smoky, but so what. I plugged it back in, and it was up and running in no time. I'm not going to bother with a UPS. In the unusual event of an extended power outage, we'll use the car as a generator, and run the stove for a while.

Thanks everyone for your input and troubleshooting this with me!

Last edited:
Reactions: shtrdave
Thanks for the test. We rarely have power outage for a period of time, usually just little on off things, enough to cause the microwave to blink. Been here for 13 years and do not remember when it was off for more than an hour or two.

That's why I use the pure sine UPS which gives me more than enough time for the nuisance power outages of under an hour which is probably 95% of them and even then, not common. If it's really cold, I can start the generator if there's a long storm outage. On the extremely rare case where I lost power long enough to run down the UPS, it's a pellet stove with a fire that would probably fit into a 16 ounce cup, not a big ole woodstove or fireplace fire and the small natural draft would take care of the majority of it. I've gotten more smoke in the house from a cooking mishap LOL :)

Ray

Reactions: Mt Bob
On second thought, we'll get a non-sinewave UPS and let the stove shut down properly. They're not that expensive and since we leave the stove running while we're sleeping, it'll be one less thing to worry about. And if the power goes out for any extended time, we'll connect the modem :)

Thanks so much for your (and the others) brainstorming this with me!
From what I recall, it's been awhile, you don't want to use just any old non-pure sinewave inverter as I believe some can damage the electronics. That's stuck in my brain from researching all this stuff a year ago. I just don't remember specifics though.