Irene pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Tom

Jan 19, 2010
Vermont
Here is a try at posting some pics of the flood that filled the lower half of my wood pile with up to an inch of silt. I have a gulley that runs along side my house that had about 4 feet of water running through it. my wood piles are on 2 pallets with bricks to level them off on the upper edge of the gulley. At high tide I had about 2.5 feet of water running through my pile. The weight of the wood must of kept it from washing away. My coop did move a little off of it's foundation but it held. MY yard is mounded up so I had water running around all sides of it. Only lost some unsplit wood that washed down into the woods. The planting pots are from a lanscaper that lives a quarter mile up the road.

Attachments

• Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 305
  • Picture 011-1.jpg
    Picture 011-1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 290
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 292
I forgot to mention, In 2 photos you can see some silver tarp. That is the edge of my main pile, about 5 cords. The smaller pile is my back up. Spent a couple days taking them apart and hosing off the wood.

Tom, how has the wood dried out?

zap

zapny said:

zap
The wood is 2 year old cherry. I ricked it up in the sunniest place I could find. I think it will be all right. My mistake maybe not doing it soon enough. I have at least 2 cords just from my main pile That I had to clean off. I think I will mix it in with other stuff just to make sure.

Mad Tom said:
zapny said:

zap
The wood is 2 year old cherry. I ricked it up in the sunniest place I could find. I think it will be all right. My mistake maybe not doing it soon enough. I have at least 2 cords just from my main pile That I had to clean off. I think I will mix it in with other stuff just to make sure.

Cherry should be good to go, it's been a tough year in the northeast for seasoning wood and other things.

zap

zapny said:
Mad Tom said:
zapny said:

zap

Cherry should be good to go, it's been a tough year in the northeast for seasoning wood and other things.

zap
I agree. Lets just see if all this moisture continues into winter.

If it does continue were in for a tough winter!

zap

I feel for ya - having to wash your wood just doesnt sound like a lot of fun. Kind of makes the cover/dont cover debate seem meaningless

Status
Not open for further replies.