Irene

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Just got power back a couple hrs ago. Hope everyone managed the storm OK. Generators are great things to have around! There is so much wood here for the taking it is hard to believe and me without a proper truck to take advantage. Oh well, I'll get whatever small stuff I can. Funny thing is a week before the storm when no one knew where Irene would hit I followed the sound of a chipper and bought about 3/4 cord of oak (unsplit) for $40. I thought that wasn't bad but now... Again hope everyone is safe and sound.

I've headed to people's houses and asked if they needed help. Tons of them said they had plenty of people telling them how they could get pay for the job but I'm the only one that would help. Got two 16" oaks that a guy said he would remove for 450 each!!! Had a guy who I really wanted with a 36+ say he had tons of offers to "help with insurance" but could do it on his own. Ask people if they need help and lots of wood to get. I've got five loads in the last three days being nice.

chad3 said:
I've headed to people's houses and asked if they needed help. Tons of them said they had plenty of people telling them how they could get pay for the job but I'm the only one that would help. Got two 16" oaks that a guy said he would remove for 450 each!!! Had a guy who I really wanted with a 36+ say he had tons of offers to "help with insurance" but could do it on his own. Ask people if they need help and lots of wood to get. I've got five loads in the last three days being nice.

Thats good to hear. Not enough people seem to have that instinct anymore. I do snow throwing for 3 elderly neighbors, I usually get a bottle or some cookies but thats not why I do it. it's just the right thing to do if you can and can't hurt my karma!

i think for the next several weeks you'll find people with trees down who don't want to pay for removal. Maybe you can offer to cut the tree up and stack the wood, maybe haul the brush to the curb (I would expect the town to come and chip and haul away brush for free for several months), and the understanding is you'll come back later for the firewood. I think a lot of people would be happy to have the tree in a neat pile instead of laying across the sidewalk, and you can both help the nieghbors and secure lots of wood. When time permits you can rent or borrow a vehicle to move the wood to your house,and maybe by that time the ground will be hard and you can drive on the lawn without making ruts. The trees on driveways and streets will be moved pretty quickly, but the ones not directly blocking access, laying on powerlines, or threatening structures will be available for a few weeks at least. Make sure to make it clear you want the firewood and that is a big part of why you are helping remove the tree! generally I think it is a bad idea to cut firewood and come back for it later, but maybe in this situation it is worth the gamble that the firewood might be taken by somebody else before you return for it. I definitely wouldn't stack it near the street.

Ive been following the piles of wood around here. If I see a tree is still down in the yard ask them if I can come back when its more convient for me. So far every one has been very thankful because the tree services are so back loged theyre basically delimbing and piling brush and telling people theyll come back for the trunk later (not if I can help it :))

One home owner tried to pay me, but honestly it was 3 blocks away and one day I may need his help. Not to mention he owns a doughnut shop, maybe hell remeber me!

Irene stole all my wood. I had 5+ cords stacked and ready to burn, when the dearfield river came through it took it all. plus a 16 foot camper. I miss the wood more than the camper.

4acrefarm said:
Irene stole all my wood. I had 5+ cords stacked and ready to burn, when the dearfield river came through it took it all. plus a 16 foot camper. I miss the wood more than the camper.

Damn, that really sucks about the wood.

4acrefarm said:

Wow that is a sucky day. I asked one neighbor if he had any plans for what I believe is an elm of some type (have my audobon book out now) piled up at the curb. He said take what you want so I took 3 loads in the Subaru and left him a bottle of Yellowtail. Hopefully everyone is happy.

Glad Irene has gone to bed finally.

It is nice to be able to help out some folks after a disaster like this even if you don't get wood. Getting the wood is just gravy but the best is the satisfaction of helping someone in need.

Nice little score for here. I had one myself the other day :)

There is ALOT of potential firewood here, take a different route to work, back roads, etc. It's piled out front cut into manageable pieces.

It'll be around for a few weeks, atleast.

Wow bonus. I have about 5 cords of splits that look seasoned that washed up in my rear fields!

Backwoods Savage said:
Glad Irene has gone to bed finally.

It is nice to be able to help out some folks after a disaster like this even if you don't get wood. Getting the wood is just gravy but the best is the satisfaction of helping someone in need.

Amen to that. None of my neighbors were in dire straits by the time I got home but believe in helping out when I can. BTW it was a Michigan crew that repaired the lines in my area, Kudos to those guys.

4acrefarm said:

gzecc said:
Wow bonus. I have about 5 cords of splits that look seasoned that washed up in my rear fields!
At least you've got your wood back, 4acre.
gzecc, I would be great if you could find the camper, too. :lol:

There is wood every where around me, but I have very little room with nearly 10 cords on my 1/4 acre. I have room for only one more. I plan on gabbing one more cord of Black locust from down the road and I'll be done until I start burning unless I can find some other place to store it. I am even giving away wood that fell on my property!

Status
Not open for further replies.