iron and oak price increase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
just got off the phone with a factory rep. the price i was quoted last week for a 26-ton h/v with robin engine was shipped right to my door-step for $1850! (i unload with no liftgate on delivery truck)
the price quoted this week (1/2 hr ago) is $2295...almost the same setup. the only exception is that last week, iron and oak was going to throw in the log dislodger for no charge, this week, it's 65 bucks extra.

you snooze, you lose.

northern tool with a 4 yr warranty and honda engine is looking pretty good (37-ton)

The rental outfit has I/O splitters. When I checked, they could order one but it was the highest price of any I could get here. Add in shipping $$, it was scary.
Must be a well built long lasting tool.
One that big should come with a 4 way wedge.
Decide which one yet?

Wow, that is a big price increase.

Dave, why do you feel you need such a big splitter with all that tonnage?

I just rented a 20 ton, which split in both directions. I was splitting apple and beech and it was nothing but knots. Splitter went right though with out any trouble. i could not seeing needing anything any bigger. I know bigger is always better.

Dave,

Who did you get the lodge dislodger from? I did not see it on the ace site. Honestly, how important is this dislodger? Can a simple mini-sledge or sledge do the trick just as well?

I just ordered the 26ton I&O from Ace. The price is a little higher, but I will pick it up at the terminal. No tax. Should get it soon.

backwoods sav-i feel i need the larger tonnage due to the fact that i (and my bro) both have outdoor boilers. for a truckload of wood from a local yard, the charge is $450 for 10 full cord. only trouble is, this is "cull" wood that the mills don't want to process. its all twisted, gnarled, knotty, crotchety (is that a word?) with forks (forked up?) and the diameter are large...and very heavy. very very heavy. heavier than they were just a few years ago for the same sized piece, if you know what i mean.
so i am looking at a larger engine with a stronger pump rating for longevity. for ex- 37 ton with 16 gpm pump,cycle time of 14 sec and 270 cc honda engine vs. a 30 ton with 11 gpm pump 18 sec cycle time and engine of 160 cc honda.

g-6, i had the iron and oak factory rep price out the log dislodger and cradle. yes, i feel the dislodger is needed due to the wood i described above. anything that becomes lodged on the wedge would be pushed off by the dislodger when the piston is retracted.

vincent, i agree-the american way-bigger is better!

G6 at Snook said:
Dave,

Who did you get the lodge dislodger from? I did not see it on the ace site. Honestly, how important is this dislodger? Can a simple mini-sledge or sledge do the trick just as well?

I just ordered the 26ton I&O from Ace. The price is a little higher, but I will pick it up at the terminal. No tax. Should get it soon.

Log Dislodger is available from I & O dealers or I&O directly. It's better than whacking it with a sledge cause you can't misplace it and it protects the control valve if the wedge retracts with a log stuck to it.

yooperdave, you will find that as the years go by, those logs will continue to get heavier and heavier....

yooperdave said:
backwoods sav-i feel i need the larger tonnage due to the fact that i (and my bro) both have outdoor boilers. for a truckload of wood from a local yard, the charge is $450 for 10 full cord. only trouble is, this is "cull" wood that the mills don't want to process. its all twisted, gnarled, knotty, crotchety (is that a word?) with forks (forked up?) and the diameter are large...and very heavy. very very heavy. heavier than they were just a few years ago for the same sized piece, if you know what i mean.
so i am looking at a larger engine with a stronger pump rating for longevity. for ex- 37 ton with 16 gpm pump,cycle time of 14 sec and 270 cc honda engine vs. a 30 ton with 11 gpm pump 18 sec cycle time and engine of 160 cc honda.

g-6, i had the iron and oak factory rep price out the log dislodger and cradle. yes, i feel the dislodger is needed due to the wood i described above. anything that becomes lodged on the wedge would be pushed off by the dislodger when the piston is retracted.

vincent, i agree-the american way-bigger is better!
IMO and experience there aren't enough ones a 22tonner can't split to justify the lack of speed with a 37tonner. In fact I've never met a piece I couldn't find a way with the smaller unit. May not have got it on the first try but 2nd or 3rd I found a way. And with 4 sec full cycle time I'll get way more wood split. I keep the throttle pulled back most of the time so I'm more in the 8sec range but if I'm feeling frisky its there. Now what does make sense is the 37tons pushing into a 6way wedge.

Status
Not open for further replies.