Iron & Oak, "Made in the USA", 15 ton Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gnedinok

Dec 8, 2010
Wellston, OK
Hey all, just a little info here on the Iron & Oak 15 ton log splitter. We have had this splitter for 2 months now and have split about 4 ricks of oak & hickory. I split wood for 25+ years with a 8# maul & a Monster mall.... Not anymore. Got a buddy that has a Speeco 22 ton that I have used a bit and it is a very good splitter. He's had it for 7 or so years and cut, split and sold for several of those so I would say it is a reputable piece of machinery. Still works as good as the day he got it. The issue I have with the Speeco/Huskee is that the welded parts come from Mexico, and all the other components come from ... mostly China. They are assembled in Florida, I believe. And, they weigh in at just under 500 Lbs. My wife & I are both self employed we do what we can to buy locally and most importantly try to buy "Made in the USA". We've not been in a Wal-Mart in years thank you very much! In researching Iron & Oak I found that there are no dealers in Oklahoma and it seems that a good part of their market is rental centers, now that indicated to me that if rental operations buy and rent these units they must be a well made machine. Yes, this smaller, 250 Lb. machine costs about the same as their foreign counterpart but, it has the same 5.5 hp Briggs engine, the same 2 stage 11 gpm pump with a 3.5" trunion mount cylinder, 1.5" rod with an 18" log capacity & 8 second cycle time ... all components are USA made! We live in central Oklahoma and most of what we cut is oak (white, post, red and that danged old blackjack) & hickory. I try to stay away from anything over 18" - 20" and haven't come across anything that this unit will not handle ( knots & all). I had polio as a child and have had 2 hip replacements on my "good leg" so the 250# weight of this machine suits me quite well. I can push it around by hand if not going far or drag it behind the Kubota or truck if need be. Call the factory and a person actually answers the phone. Customer service is second to none & they really stand behind their products. The smaller frame size & weight make this machine very easy to move & store. Just my 2 cents worth.

We also did a couple of short YouTube videos. Search Iron & Oak 15 ton

Attachments

• 15 ton.jpg
    15 ton.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 955
I didn't know about that one, so I looked it up on the I&O website: BHPCLS1509 Horizontal Log Splitter

I like that 8s cycle time and smaller footprint.

I'm not so sure about the 2.25 gallon hydraulic tank for a long splitting session or warmer weather. That 18" opening would also be an issue for me.

Cool little unit.

I've looked at that model, and the main reason it has been eliminated from contention is that it does not allow you to split vertically. With monster rounds, that would get old rather quickly.

richg said:
it does not allow you to split vertically. With monster rounds, that would get old rather quickly.

Drop the leg and it looks like it would split at a 45 just fine. Looks like a nice simple well made machine. They should offer an electric option.

SolarAndWood said:
richg said:
it does not allow you to split vertically. With monster rounds, that would get old rather quickly.

Drop the leg and it looks like it would split at a 45 just fine. Looks like a nice simple well made machine. They should offer an electric option.
Running at a 45 might be hard on motors and pump due to oil starvation
leaddog

leaddog said:

I suppose. Seems worse case is you extend the vent to accommodate the rotation.

leaddog said:
SolarAndWood said:
richg said:

leaddog

Can't tell about the pump from the photo. I would definitely be worried about the motor.

Are talking hydraulic or motor oil? I guess I haven't considered the motor issues since I went electric.

I don't know of any lawn mower that can't mow on that grade.

SolarAndWood said:
Are talking hydraulic or motor oil? I guess I haven't considered the motor issues since I went electric.

I don't know of any lawn mower that can't mow on that grade.

Even commercial grade engines like the Kohler Command Pro series can't handle sustained operation on that kind of grade. Typically, they are limited to 20-25 degrees. They can handle short periods of steeply inclined operation, but that's all. I doubt that an inexpensive lawn mower motor would be any better.

Gotcha, I wouldn't want to split at that angle for very long anyway. I've dropped the legs on my splitter a few times for some big rounds. Now, I just roll a round about half the height of the beam against the beam to use as a ramp. That technique wouldn't work very well with the peg leg though.

Attachments

• left side splitter.jpg
    left side splitter.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 681
richg said:
I've looked at that model, and the main reason it has been eliminated from contention is that it does not allow you to split vertically. With monster rounds, that would get old rather quickly.

Monster rounds are not an option for me. 24" is the largest Ive had in it and my youngest (28) lifted it :) I must say it did grunt a little. The 8 second cycle time lessens the tonnage as well.

TreePointer said:
I didn't know about that one, so I looked it up on the I&O website: BHPCLS1509 Horizontal Log Splitter

I'm not so sure about the 2.25 gallon hydraulic tank for a long splitting session or warmer weather. That 18" opening would also be an issue for me.

Cool little unit.

How much does this unit sell for? I wonder if the engine could be replaced later with
a commercial grade Honda engine or an electric motor?
Jbird

16" is the ideal log length for our Napoleon 1400pl so the 18" capacity is just fine for us. As for the dropping the leg for a 45° splitting angle. NO, engine would not oil and the hydraulic feed & return are on the back of the unit. For the 6-8 rick a year we'll be using and the size of logs that I am comfortable with this little splitter really fits the bill.
Beats the heck outta those dang mauls I used for so many years :)

Jbird560 said:
TreePointer said:

Cool little unit.

How much does this unit sell for? I wonder if the engine could be replaced later with
a commercial grade Honda engine or an electric motor?
Jbird

$958.00, free shipping from Woodsplitters Direct.
MSRP from factory is $1300.00+ ANd yes I'm sure you could reto to commercial engine or electric but not sure the factory does. They are GREAT to work with and I'm sure would be glad to answer any questions.

Thats the same brand used at the rental center where I rent mine for $ 60 a day. They are very dependable.

Should serve you well. Congrats! Beats swinging the maul.

I am sold on vertical splitting. I like to have a seat when I work, so I could never own a horizontal only unit, but I hope it brings you years of good service!

gnedinok - that looks like a nice lil splitter! I too support USA when I can, though I am sure I could do more. The problem I would have with that machine like others have said the 18" length would be an issue. My Rockland takes 24" splits and I usually try to target 22" and that seems to help with burn times compared to the typical 16-18" splits. I think if it would handle 24" length I might give it serious thought. Hope it works well for you.

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
gnedinok - that looks like a nice lil splitter! I too support USA when I can, though I am sure I could do more. The problem I would have with that machine like others have said the 18" length would be an issue. My Rockland takes 24" splits and I usually try to target 22" and that seems to help with burn times compared to the typical 16-18" splits. I think if it would handle 24" length I might give it serious thought. Hope it works well for you.

They do make every size, including horizontal/vertical combo.

Great splitters...i know..i have the 22 ton...what a monster. I buy American when it is a well made product of high quality and this is it!

Hmm... given that i have a small firebox that can't accommodate > 18", that 18" max seems like an idiot proof insurance policy to make sure I don't get tired and make the wrong cuts when bucking. Probably will rent/hand split for a year or 2 but will keep my eye out for one of these.

I have the 26T Iron and Oak w/9hp Honda engine. Splits vertical or horizontal. The machines are solid. Ours is 8yrs old. We had a leak in the control valve last fall and returned it to the factory which is 12miles from our home. Linda who answers the phone is a pleasant and knowledgeable person. When the valve was replaced they replaced the cylinder and wedge as well said those parts had been recalled. The hydraulic oil was changed, machine cleaned up and ready to go in less than 24 hours. I think the charge was around $50.
We bought the splitter because I had been sick and had not been able to split wood for 18mo due to several surgeries. I didnt think I would ever split wood again. My wife and adult son did all the work and I sat on a stool and pulled the control lever. After several more surgeries and a couple of years of light exercise I have learned to split by hand and have been able to split 7 to 10 cords by hand for the last two seasons. I am 66yo and think I am in the best shape I have been in in 20 years.
Good health and enjoy you Iron and Oak.
Tom

jensent said:
I have the 26T Iron and Oak w/9hp Honda engine. Splits vertical or horizontal. The machines are solid. Ours is 8yrs old. We had a leak in the control valve last fall and returned it to the factory which is 12miles from our home. Linda who answers the phone is a pleasant and knowledgeable person. When the valve was replaced they replaced the cylinder and wedge as well said those parts had been recalled. The hydraulic oil was changed, machine cleaned up and ready to go in less than 24 hours. I think the charge was around $50.
We bought the splitter because I had been sick and had not been able to split wood for 18mo due to several surgeries. I didnt think I would ever split wood again. My wife and adult son did all the work and I sat on a stool and pulled the control lever. After several more surgeries and a couple of years of light exercise I have learned to split by hand and have been able to split 7 to 10 cords by hand for the last two seasons. I am 66yo and think I am in the best shape I have been in in 20 years.
Good health and enjoy you Iron and Oak.
Tom

Way to go Tom!

Status
Not open for further replies.