Ironwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Since Ironwood never gets to big would you split this or just leave it like in the picture.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0255.jpg
    100_0255.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 480
leave it tha t way ,id take full advantage of its long burn characteristics and keep those rounds a healthy size

lexybird said:
leave it tha t way ,id take full advantage of its long burn characteristics and keep those rounds a healthy size

Thanks lexy, is 1 year enough for drying time and how long of a burn time do you get?

Zap

Was it standing dead? Ironwood I've seen starts pretty dry that way, so I'd say a year off the ground in the open might do the trick.

This brings up a question. Does anyone know why Ironwood stays small? (other than slow growth) Were I grew up (S.Ontario) the roots would rot off near the base by the time they were 3-5" diam. That was in the woods. In the open they seemed to do better. Do they get bigger anywhere else?

I'd split just the biggest ones. As to how big a round can be, that is determined by your stove.

hey Zap, not to hijack your OP but can you get some up close shots of that iron wood for me. Please and thank you

That's Eastern Hophornbeam, one of a few commonly refereed to as "Ironwood". It can get up to 24" diameter. It's the American Hornbeam that is a small scrubby tree and doesn't get very big. There are records of 24" American Hornbeams but I've never seen one even close. I have a dozen or so on my property and they're all 5" or less.

http://www.oplin.org/tree/name/commonname.html

Either way, great wood for burning and for making tool handles and such.
I'd get it up off the dirt/mud if I were you... Maybe just split the few large rounds at the top.

Why doesn't Ironwood get big? It is just the nature of the tree(s). There are a couple of trees called ironwood, but none is really a big tree. Same goes for Flowering Dogwood, Juneberries, Striped Maple, and many others. Under ideal conditions, and after a long time, you can get larger than usual ironwood, but don't expect it to ever be a really full-sized tree. It is a shame, since it would be great firewood.

I'd split most of them to be sure they'd dry, but as somebody pointed out that would make them burn faster and you probably want to use this stuff for long burns.

We got a lot of ironwood up here in the UP too, the biggest I've ever seen is about a foot in diameter. I'd love to have a woodshed filled with 12" rounds that were cut 5 years ago !! major BTU's !

yup, as others have said. some trees just don't get that big - usually they are understory trees.

hornbeam, the 'other' ironwood, has smooth muscley bark, looks like of like beech - that stuff is good hard wood, but will rot quick if left on the ground. I've never burned any of hophornbeam that you have, but have seen it growing from time to time, and it doesn't seem to get that big as you've mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.