Is a 2005 PF100 the same as a new one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
Or have there been many changes? I'm looking at a used one.

i think the ignition system has changed....but not much else. Newer ones have the air compressor going into the igniter going into the top of the burnpot...the old ones have the many finned igniter rod under the burnpot.

I wonder if you can upgrade the igniter and the convection blower.

you can, but its a PITA to do so. So long as you keep the old style igniter clean its not that bad.

It's got a $1600 price tag. Does that seem reasonable?

if its been relatively well cared for I'd say thats reasonable. just did an overhaul on a PF100 that sat for a few years in a dirt floor basement and though it hadn't seen a whole lot of use it was in sorry shape from poor installation and a total lack of normal maintenance.

I love my PF 100. This is the most comfortable the house has felt in 5 years.

Delta-T said:
if its been relatively well cared for I'd say thats reasonable. just did an overhaul on a PF100 that sat for a few years in a dirt floor basement and though it hadn't seen a whole lot of use it was in sorry shape from poor installation and a total lack of normal maintenance.

I have no way of telling, of course the claim is that it was taken care of. It doesn't look very good from the outside. Pretty dirty.

one obvious thing to check is the shaker handle for the heat exchanger chains. If that moves easily and pulls in and out fairly easy at least you know they did "something". If the machines are abused or just sit there for long periods that thing tends to seize or get very tough to turn. There are two large baffles on the inside of the combustion chamber....if they are coated with crusty heavy black material then they didn't clean the unit very well. Its nearly impossible to kill, so I wouldn't say anything is necessarily a deal breaker, but may give you some "haggle room". This is assuming you can get a look at the unit in real life, and not just a pic on the interwebs.

Status
Not open for further replies.