is a sthil 025 chainsaw at $125 a bargain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuco1963

Dec 24, 2010
east central indiana
hi gang and happy holidays

ive found a sthil 025 chainsaw with 16" bar for$125 at a local implement dealer that said it works but comes with no warrenty is this a reasonabel price on this saw .
my biggest concern is it breaking down and not being able to get parts for it i was looking at new husquvarnas at rural king for $250-$350 wasnt sure of theyre quality (ive heard that since buying poulon that theyre just an orange poulan ) but back to the matter at hand ! the dealer said the 025 and 250 change was just 5 yrs ago and that the engine and gear parts interchange . do they?

Parts for an 025 shouldn't be a problem. If the saw is in good shape, that is a good price. I don't think the Husky guys here will agree on the the "orange poulan" comment.

If it starts and runs thats a good deal to me.

Matter of fact you better tell me where that is and I'll get it and test it for you.

$125 for a 025 in reasonable shape is a fair deal. They are fantastic saws and you will be very happy with it I think. They are nearly identical to a MS250 (a current model) and parts availability on any Stihl that has been in production within 10 years is seldom a problem. In fact you can still get parts for saws built in the 60's and there is never an problem finding old carcasses to serve as parts machines.

As far as "Orange Poulans", I don't know about the newer saws but the 136,137, 141, and 142 were exactly that. There were several problems with the lot of them right out of the box but armed with a checklist of the issues/solutions, one could make them into decent little saws if they warded off the problems before they became severe.

seeyal8r said:
If it starts and runs thats a good deal to me.

Matter of fact you better tell me where that is and I'll get it and test it for you.

+1 if its all there and runs good! To late just bought it! ;-) J/K...

If it looks good and runs then you should already be telling us about how you cut up 3 cords of wood with it. Parts are easy to come by and worse case scenario is that you could double your money parting this one out.

There were two versions of the 025 - One is exactly like the newer 250, and the other is a bit different, but mostly the same. I have the older one, and I've found that the air filter is different, the carb is not fully adjustable, and the piston is a slightly different size. Other than that, everything else should be interchangeable.

Agent said:
There were two versions of the 025 - One is exactly like the newer 250, and the other is a bit different, but mostly the same. I have the older one, and I've found that the air filter is different, the carb is not fully adjustable, and the piston is a slightly different size. Other than that, everything else should be interchangeable.
I didn't know that. It doesn't surprise me at all, but is still news to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.